Update DITA For Print for OT 3.x? What say ye?

Leigh White

Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Bill Burns

Oh, yes. Definitely needed, Leigh.

  --
Bill Burns
512-646-2100

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM Leigh White <lwwhite5@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

bvigneshwaran21@...

As you say there are substantial changes for 3.x, a book from you will be definitely very helpful for dita learners.

Tom Magliery

I'm a bit out of touch with tool adoption rates at this point, but based on past experience, even "late" (your word) there will be very many people who benefit.

mag

On 2021-04-13 08:07, Leigh White wrote:

Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Thomas Rathkamp

I 3rd the affirmative motion ;)

On 2021-04-13 08:07, Leigh White wrote:

Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Louis L

Hi Leigh,

I think it would be useful. It’s great orientation for newcomers, and a handy reference for the others.

Louis Lapicque

Le mar. 13 avr. 2021 à 17:07, Leigh White <lwwhite5@...> a écrit :
Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

mganir@...

That would be very helpful!

Owen

It would certainly be useful, Leigh.

Kind regards,
Owen Rowe

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM Leigh White <lwwhite5@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Zoë Lawson

Yes please!

I definitely considered your book as the one true source as I was trying to figure out how to design a PDF with the DITA-OT. I got tripped up a few times due to differences, and would love a revision for the next time I dig in.

Zoë Lawson

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Nicholas Mucks

Hi Leigh,
It’s a useful book. I wish it extended into other plugins a bit more. Our biggest challenge in the upgrade to 3.X for PDF was with preprocess2, but we liked the benefits of map-first preprocessing. We also decided to transform all root ditamaps to bookmaps before preprocessing to streamline some of the downstream templates. We of course had changes to styles with things like @scalefit and @orient as well. For some reason we had a horrible time wrestling with table formatting this time around but FOP has welcome improvements.

Take care,
- Nick

Sent from mobile

On Apr 13, 2021, at 8:07 AM, Leigh White <lwwhite5@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Danielle Wong

Yes, please. It would definitely be helpful!

Danielle

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 11:07 AM, Leigh White
<lwwhite5@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Taking an informal poll here. Better late than never (I guess) but I'm considering updating DITA For Print for OT 3.x, as there have been some substantial changes, especially to the build process. It's a considerable effort, though, so I'd like to see if there is actually any demand. Chime in and let me know if you'd find it useful...or not.

Thanks!
Leigh

Larry Kunz

Add me to the "yes, please" list, Leigh. DITA for Print is my Bible for PDF transforms.

Larry Kunz

stinakab

Yes! An update would be very much appreciated.
Best,
Christina

Ozana Dragomir

Yes, please!

Best regards,
Ozana

james.bostock@...

I think that an updated edition would be great!