Topics

Tracking mentions for an index or glossary?

Daud Vyd

While typing in a <p> or other tag, is it possible to annotate content so that it can be ad-hoc searched while working in Oxygen and also added to a dynamically generated index or glossary? For example, how would you markup this DITA topic:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">
<topic id="genre">
    <title>Genre</title>
</topic>

Merlin is:
  • an instance-of a person
  • a child-of the Authorian Legend setting
Authorian Legend is:
  • an instance-of a setting
  • a parent-of Merlin
Fantasy is:
  • a instance-of a genre
  • a parent-of Authorian Legend

Is it possible to markup the text so that I can later query across all DITA files for the relationships described in bullet points or for a list of mentioned genres and where they are discussed? Could I insert a dynamically generated list of these mentions at the bottom of the Genre DITA page above to display in the final document?

Incidentally, Setting will be a DITA topic like Genre. Should every mention of these words be hyperlinked? In MS Word, I might just capitalize them and display in italics or bold them like I've done here.

Thank you,
d. vyd