From: main@dita-users.groups.io <main@dita-users.groups.io> On Behalf Of schmidt.eduard via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2020 5:06 AM
To: main@dita-users.groups.io
Subject: [dita-users] Resources for learning?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start off by thanking all of you for your kind support and help with questions in the past. As mentioned in previous posts, we are in the process of implementing our reuse strategy and need to upgrade to the newest DITA-OT for our strategy to work nicely along with our DITA-customizations. I know the basics of how to update the DITA-OT, integrate plugins and tweak a transformation scenario in Oxygen. However, I notice that more often than not I get error messages I don’t understand, even after extensively consulting google, and so I’ve come to the conclusion that learning about these matters would be the best way to handle future customizations, updates etc. My question would be this: Which resources would you recommend to learn about RNG, the inner workings of DITA-OT, customization of DITA and how they all relate to each other ? Or how would you go about getting a good understanding of how everything under the hood works together to produce my output? I suppose that due to my ignorance parts of my question may not even make sense and I probably forgot a bunch of important stuff but well, that’s why I’m asking in the first place. Thanks!

–Ed

Larry Kunz

Hi, Ed.

I've found that the best resource for understanding the DITA-OT is Leigh White’s book, DITA for Print. Leigh explains things clearly and provides a lot of practical examples.

Hope this helps,
Larry Kunz

@l3arn4life

Thank you both for the info, I will look at the suggested material.

–Ed