Resources for a beginning technical writer (Was "Re: [dita-users] Publishing DITA content to knowledge bases")

Kristen James Eberlein

Hi, Daniel.

I want to point you to other resources for technical writing. (This list serv is narrowly focused on the use of DITA, the Darwin Information Typing Architecture.) The first resources that come to mind are the following:

  • Write the Docs Slack channel: https://writethedocs.slack.com/
    This is a friendly group of people; I'm sure that they will have many answers to your question.
  • Society for Technical Communication (STC): https://www.stc.org/
    This is the primary professional organization for technical writing in the US. They offer courses and Webinars; they also have chapters.
  • tekom: https://www.technical-communication.org/
    This is the primary professional organization for technical writing in Europe. They also offer courses and Webinars; they have more of an international presence than STC

Best of luck!

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 5/9/2021 5:39 AM, DANIEL ESSIET via groups.io wrote:
Which areĀ  the best softwares for a beginning technical writer?
Thank you kindly.
Daniel Essiet
Lagos

On Sat, May 8, 2021, 10:08 PM Josh Honomichl <honomijr@...> wrote:
Hi Radu,

I'm currently working on a project to leverage our CMS-generated PDF outputs through the webspace in multiple ways, including knowlegebase delivery. The copy-paste route is a dead end as it's prohibitively expensive, doesn't scale, and extremely error-prone. We've found that the best option for achieving this end is to either engineer a custom OT plugin that you configure to push content into the pipeline, or invest in a tool that intakes DITA natively (ZoomIn, Ingenuix, etc). At this point, we are starting with the scripted deployments through a custom plugin, but the plan is to graduate to a purpose-built, enterprise-class deployment tool as soon as possible once we can prove our financial case.

The major challenges in the scripted deployment deal primarily with the limitations and requirements of the destination web CMS/tool. The creation of the custom JSON plugin is not really much of a problem. The most difficult part of us will likely be creation of the transactional API scripts as our destination tools are somewhat particular about how they import content.

Let me know if you have any questions.
josh

DANIEL ESSIET

Thanks. I appreciate it.