Topics

Request for DITA-related presentation at the ISTC

indi.liepa@...

Hi,

I have been asked to present Nokia experience of moving to DITA and modular XML in general at the UK Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators annual conference on 9th October. I think this is the first time DITA will be discussed amongst professional communicators in the UK (please correct me if I am wrong).

You can find out about the Institute at: http://www.istc.org.uk

I am sure that participants will want to learn more about OASIS DITA activities. Are there any conventions relating to discussing OASIS activities to which I should adhere? Advice welcome.

Regards

Indi

Indi Liepa
Senior Information Architect
Content Solutions
Nokia/TP
Southwood UK
Tel mobile: +447795114893
Tel office: +441252866256
VPN: 845 6256

kethier <KEthier@...>

Hello Indi:

I am giving a DITA overview presentation in October at the DocTrain conference (in the US, in New England). If you do receive a response regarding conventions that need to be followed when discussing OASIS, could you please pass that information to me as well?

Thank you,

Kay

Don Day <dond@...>

<indi.liepa@...> wrote on 08/05/2004 10:05:52 AM:

I have been asked to present Nokia experience of moving to DITA and
modular XML in general at the UK Institute of Scientific and
Technical Communicators annual conference on 9th October. I think
this is the first time DITA will be discussed amongst professional
communicators in the UK (please correct me if I am wrong).
This is great news, Indi!

You can find out about the Institute at: http://www.istc.org.uk

I am sure that participants will want to learn more about OASIS DITA
activities. Are there any conventions relating to discussing OASIS
activities to which I should adhere? Advice welcome.
Indi and Kay (and anyone else with speaking opportunities):
You may freely point folks to the TC's public home page. At the same time,
point to the DITA cover page main URL (http://xml.coverpages.org/dita.html)
because it has all the publicly available context and starts off with a
link to extensive background information about the DITA activity at OASIS.
There is never any problem with inviting motivated listeners to consider
participating in this TC at any level. The conventions you asked about
apply to speaking on behalf of OASIS or having contact with editors or
analysts who might be in attendance.

The OASIS policy for press comments and quotations is described here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/guidelines.php#media
Just be aware who are your peers in the tech writing community versus those
who might be looking for an industry press story, and direct the latter to
Carol Geyer at OASIS to set up a formal interview.

DITA happens to be fresh fodder for many future speaking opportunities.
Make use of the many citations already at the DITA Cover Pages site, of
course. And I encourage anyone contemplating a paper to append messages to
the DITA TC mailing list (dita@...) to request review of
your proposals, outlines, etc. with respect to Best Practices that are part
of the DITA TC's scope. That body exists in part to help nurture DITA's
uptake.

Don Day <dond@...>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
IBM Lead DITA Architect
11501 Burnet Rd., MS 9037D018, Austin TX 78758
Ph. 512-838-8550 (T/L 678-8550)

--T.S. Eliot

indi.liepa@...

Hi Kay,

Now we all have valuable guidance thanks to Don.

Will your presentation be available to DITA OASIS members? I would like to see it if possible and to learn about how DITA is used and understood in different organisations.