Topics

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException from command line but not oXygen

Dan Vint

've built some plugins that extend the pdf2 plugin. I've built and tested these in oXygen Editor 22 and they work just fine. I have a different team to support that doesn't have access to oXygen so they are using the command line dita command to run the same plugins.

I've replicated the problem but I'm not sure where the issue comes from or what to change. We have tested in
- 3.4.1 (used in our CMS)
- 3.5.2 (latest)
- 3.4.0 (version included in oXygen

The process runs until

org.dita.index.init:

org.dita.index:
[echo] Processing /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/PF_MERGED.xml to /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/stage1.xml

transform.topic2fo.main:
Error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/dita-ot/dita-ot-3.4.0/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/build.xml:278: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Any thoughts?
...dan

Kristen James Eberlein

Are your teams running DITA-OT directly using DITA-OT as downloadable --
or DITA-OT as extended by Oxygen? Remember that Oxygen adds quite a bit ...

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 7/24/2020 4:01 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
[...]

Where I'm having the problem is with the downloaded OT.

Are your teams running DITA-OT directly using DITA-OT as downloadable --
or DITA-OT as extended by Oxygen? Remember that Oxygen adds quite a bit ...

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 7/24/2020 4:01 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
> 've built some plugins that extend the pdf2 plugin. I've built and
> tested these in oXygen Editor 22 and they work just fine. I have a
> different team to support that doesn't have access to oXygen so they
> are using the command line dita command to run the same plugins.
>
> I've replicated the problem but I'm not sure where the issue comes
> from or what to change. We have tested in
> - 3.4.1 (used in our CMS)
> - 3.5.2 (latest)
> - 3.4.0 (version included in oXygen
>
> The process runs until
>
> org.dita.index.init:
>
> org.dita.index:
>      [echo] Processing
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/PF_MERGED.xml to
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/stage1.xml
>
> transform.topic2fo.main:
> Error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/dita-ot/dita-ot-3.4.0/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/build.xml:278:
>
> Any thoughts?
> ...dan

Kristen James Eberlein

So, is it that your plug-ins work with the version of DITA-OT shipped with Oxygen 22.0, but do NOT work with versions of the DITA-OT downloaded?

When I develop DITA-OT plug-ins, I use the following process:

  1. Install a brand-new instance of the specific version of the DITA-OT.
  2. Install any company-specific plug-ins, for example, plugins that contain DTDs or HTML overrides.
  3. Create an Oxygen project that uses the version of the DITA-OT as set up for the specific client.
  4. Do one of the following:
    1. Create an Oxygen transformation scenario.
    2. Write an Ant script to run the transformation scenario. Since you have teams that do not use oXygen, I'd think this is what you'd want to do.

The key thing is that you do your development work with the SAME environment (DITA-OT installation) that will be used in production. Also, make sure you and other team are using identical DITA-OT parameters.

I have not seem a java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException error; hopefully a more savvy person on the list can chime in.

On 7/24/2020 8:52 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
Where I'm having the problem is with the downloaded OT.

Are your teams running DITA-OT directly using DITA-OT as downloadable --
or DITA-OT as extended by Oxygen? Remember that Oxygen adds quite a bit ...

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 7/24/2020 4:01 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
> 've built some plugins that extend the pdf2 plugin. I've built and
> tested these in oXygen Editor 22 and they work just fine. I have a
> different team to support that doesn't have access to oXygen so they
> are using the command line dita command to run the same plugins.
>
> I've replicated the problem but I'm not sure where the issue comes
> from or what to change. We have tested in
> - 3.4.1 (used in our CMS)
> - 3.5.2 (latest)
> - 3.4.0 (version included in oXygen
>
> The process runs until
>
> org.dita.index.init:
>
> org.dita.index:
>      [echo] Processing
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/PF_MERGED.xml to
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/stage1.xml
>
> transform.topic2fo.main:
> Error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/dita-ot/dita-ot-3.4.0/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/build.xml:278:
>
> Any thoughts?
> ...dan

Using the command line argument "--debug" may give additional information about the unhandled error (the error stack trace for example):

https://www.dita-ot.org/dev/topics/enabling-debug-mode.html#ariaid-title1

Dan, if you can share with us the entire (or at least the last part of the) DITA OT console output after running with the "--debug" parameter maybe we will have more details to help further.

On 7/25/20 4:42 AM, Kristen James Eberlein wrote:

So, is it that your plug-ins work with the version of DITA-OT shipped with Oxygen 22.0, but do NOT work with versions of the DITA-OT downloaded?

When I develop DITA-OT plug-ins, I use the following process:

  1. Install a brand-new instance of the specific version of the DITA-OT.
  2. Install any company-specific plug-ins, for example, plugins that contain DTDs or HTML overrides.
  3. Create an Oxygen project that uses the version of the DITA-OT as set up for the specific client.
  4. Do one of the following:
    1. Create an Oxygen transformation scenario.
    2. Write an Ant script to run the transformation scenario. Since you have teams that do not use oXygen, I'd think this is what you'd want to do.

The key thing is that you do your development work with the SAME environment (DITA-OT installation) that will be used in production. Also, make sure you and other team are using identical DITA-OT parameters.

I have not seem a java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException error; hopefully a more savvy person on the list can chime in.

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 7/24/2020 8:52 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
Where I'm having the problem is with the downloaded OT.

Are your teams running DITA-OT directly using DITA-OT as downloadable --
or DITA-OT as extended by Oxygen? Remember that Oxygen adds quite a bit ...

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 7/24/2020 4:01 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
> 've built some plugins that extend the pdf2 plugin. I've built and
> tested these in oXygen Editor 22 and they work just fine. I have a
> different team to support that doesn't have access to oXygen so they
> are using the command line dita command to run the same plugins.
>
> I've replicated the problem but I'm not sure where the issue comes
> from or what to change. We have tested in
> - 3.4.1 (used in our CMS)
> - 3.5.2 (latest)
> - 3.4.0 (version included in oXygen
>
> The process runs until
>
> org.dita.index.init:
>
> org.dita.index:
>      [echo] Processing
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/PF_MERGED.xml to
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/stage1.xml
>
> transform.topic2fo.main:
> Error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/dita-ot/dita-ot-3.4.0/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/build.xml:278:
>
> Any thoughts?
> ...dan

Dan Vint

Here is what I get

transform.fo2ping-pdf.fop.test-use:

transform.fo2ping-pdf.fop.init:

transform.topic2fo.init:
[echo] Using document.locale=en

org.dita.index.init:

org.dita.index:
[echo] Processing /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/PF_MERGED.xml to /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/stage1.xml

transform.topic2fo.main:
Error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/dita-ot/dita-ot-3.4.0/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/build.xml:278: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
danvint-r:sample-content danvint$

We discovered something else after I sent the original post. The plugin stack is this:

training.pdf > doc.pdf > pdf2

The training.pdf are the extensions that this other group is using. When the writer used at the command line the transtype for doc.pdf the process works. Using the transtype for training.pdf results in the messages above.

The only thing that this training.pdf does is to force a topic to start a new page. This is done in the topic-attr.xsl file. Associated with that is a topic2fo.xsl that brings in the correct files from pdf2 and doc.pdf and points to this new topic-attr.xsl file to bring in that change.

These training files are actually markdown linked into a ditamap. I just double checked by using the DITA-OT sample files that the problem is not specific to the markdown content and transformation.

..dan

Are your teams running DITA-OT directly using DITA-OT as downloadable --
or DITA-OT as extended by Oxygen? Remember that Oxygen adds quite a bit ...

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 7/24/2020 4:01 PM, Dan Vint wrote:
> 've built some plugins that extend the pdf2 plugin. I've built and
> tested these in oXygen Editor 22 and they work just fine. I have a
> different team to support that doesn't have access to oXygen so they
> are using the command line dita command to run the same plugins.
>
> I've replicated the problem but I'm not sure where the issue comes
> from or what to change. We have tested in
> - 3.4.1 (used in our CMS)
> - 3.5.2 (latest)
> - 3.4.0 (version included in oXygen
>
> The process runs until
>
> org.dita.index.init:
>
> org.dita.index:
>      [echo] Processing
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/PF_MERGED.xml to
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/sample-content/temp/stage1.xml
>
> transform.topic2fo.main:
> Error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
> /Users/danvint/pubsrc/doc-tools/dita-ot/dita-ot-3.4.0/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/build.xml:278:
>
> Any thoughts?
> ...dan

Radu Coravu

Hi Dan,

Not sure what the problem is, somehow applying an XSLT stylesheet fails.

If you use the extra "--verbose" flag in the command line, maybe it will show some extra details about the failure.

Otherwise, without reproducing this on my side I'm afraid I don't have an idea about what causes the problem.