Topics

image in choice

Bob Fischer <bfischer@...>

I am new to this list. I want to be able to put the following content in dita:

1. Do this.
2. Do that.
3. Do one of the following:
* Click [icon] to do option a.
* Click [icon] to do option b.

As I understand it, dita would structure this as:

<steps>
<step>
<cmd>Do this.</cmd>
</step>
<step>
<cmd>Do that.</cmd>
</step>
<step>
<cmd>Do one of the following:</cmd>
<choices>
<choice>Click [icon] to do option a.</choice>
</choices>
<choices>
<choice>Click [icon] to do option b.</choice>
</choices>
</step>
</steps>

I want the [icon]s to be image elements, but these are not allowed in a choice element. Can someone recommend how to express this in dita?

Thanks.

Don R. Day <dond@...>

--- In dita-users@..., Bob Fischer <bfischer@A...> wrote:
I am new to this list. I want to be able to put the following
content in dita:

1. Do this.
2. Do that.
3. Do one of the following:
* Click [icon] to do option a.
* Click [icon] to do option b.
I want the [icon]s to be image elements, but these are not allowed
in
a choice element. Can someone recommend how to express this in
dita?

At the time that the task specialization was designed, the restricted
content model for choice must have seemed like a good idea at the
time. I've heard from a number of IBM's DITA users about the exact
same question, Bob. It's like deja vu.

As one way to get this fixed in the long term by OASIS, in which DITA
is undergoing standardization, IBM wants to suggest a backwards
compatible change for the content model of <choice>, to the effect of
opening it up to everything else that is allowed in <li> (from which
choice is derived).

In the meantime, although I always try to coach users not to abuse
markup for particular effects (my "just because you can do it doesn't
mean you should" message in a previous recent post), consider
if the icon needs to provide a link to its description in a different
topic, just use this form: <xref href="wherever"><image
href="whatever"/></xref>, which is perfectly fine.

--
Don Day
IBM Lead DITA Architect