Topics

How can I just "take the whole thing"

Weiwu Zhang <weiwu.zhang@...>

Hi fellow users. Just set up my first dita test site & learning DITA
while making it:

https://newsite.alphawallet.com/

Did a bit of customisation too: styled <PRE> for the html5 output:
https://newsite.alphawallet.com/DistinctAttributes.html

My question: the site starts from using minimal CSS and features. How
can I get an "off-you-go" package that includes most of the things
that made this website good?

https://www.dita-ot.org/dev/topics/html-customization-css.html

Specifically, I'm looking to implement the following elements on the above page:

1. Borrow the way it displays a banner:

" May describe unreleased features · Switch to current release 3.5 ·
For shortcuts, type ?"

This is because in our document we also have unreleased features.
(would also be great to get a hint on how to tag certain tech as
"unimplemented")

2. The "Notes" style, like in this:

"Note: As a starting point, you can use the CSS file that is used for
the DITA-OT documentation. This file is available in the installation
folder under docsrc/resources/dita-ot-doc.css."

3. The "Tip" style, like this:

"Tip: For an example of HTML output generated using this method, see
the HTML5 version of the DITA-OT documentation included in the
installation folder under doc/index.html."

teamwis

Hi Weiwu Zhang,
FYI, both https://infotexture.net/2018/11/customizing-dita-output/ and
http://infotexture.net/2014/04/automating-dita-builds-seattle/ shall
shred some lights on how DITA OT.org works.

We, as one of the Oxygen distributors, have worked with DITA and DITA
OT for quite a while, in case you need timely, professional services,
please let me know.
Cheers

--
Keep an Exacting Eye for Detail

Lief Erickson

Roger Sheen has put a lot of work into the DITA-OT website to make it as good as possible. I think he's done a wonderful job. Fortunately, all of Roger's hard work is available for us to mimic and peruse. In addition to the resources from the earlier reply there are these on the DITA-OT website or Github site where the source files are maintained as well.

The DITA-OT website is in this GitHub repository[1]. You can clone it. In there you'll see how the banners are done and the CSS for styling notes and tips.

You may want to start with the website wiki[2], the "how to build the site" readme [3], and the colophon[4] that explains how everything comes together.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 11:30 AM Weiwu Zhang via groups.io <weiwu.zhang=alphawallet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dear Lief

That's extremely helpful to see how dita-ot website is built. Thanks.
I'm experimenting with them.

One item on my todo is to find out which plugin provided the search
feature for dita-ot - there were two that I know of. One is
ditasearch† and the other is Oxygen's webhelp.

Checking your linked reference
[4] https://www.dita-ot.org/colophon
It seems they used neither of the two. Instead,
https://docsearch.algolia.com - which I will attempt to use as well.

Regards
Weiwu Z.

--
https://github.com/shaneataylor/ditasearch

Judging by the unattended issues it might have not been the go-to
choice for dita projects. I tried to use it but hit an issue and filed
it https://github.com/shaneataylor/ditasearch/issues/15