Topics

Glossary term: singular vs. plural #glossary

Wito Zoerkler

How do you deal with the following use case? What is your solution?

A glossary term is normally defined in singular, e.g. 'software module'. In the context the term is used often as well in plural.
Ideas I am not really satisfied with:
  • Glossary term defined in plural
  • <term keyref="KEYNAME"/>s  --> Definitely problems with localization
Best regards
Wito

Joe Russo

So are you thinking of something like:

And then a pop-up that would say something like:
A software module is a block of code that can be reused.

This mix of singular and plural doesn't bother me at all.

Wito Zoerkler

Hi, Joe,

thanks for your feedback.
I also don't mind if the glossary term in the glossary is in the singular and is used in the plural in the text.
My question was more about what is the best technical solution for this.
Example:
  • 'software module' is defined in a glossary topic (singular). The output can be different depending on the format (e.g. glossary chapter in PDF, mouse hover)
  • By default, glossary words are inserted into the text as follows: <abbreviated-form keyref="KEYNAME"/> or <term keyref="KEYNAME">, i.e. they would then appear as a singular in the text.
The question is, how can I use the glossary term in the text in the plural?
<term keyref="KEYNAME">software modules</term> is just an idea. The question is whether it is a good idea? Does anyone have any experience with this? It won't work with <abbreviated-form> because the content model doesn't allow any element or text (which makes sense because either the <glossSurfaceForm> or <glossAcronym> is rendered in the output).

Any idea how to deal with it best?

Best
Wito