For an <xref> to a web URL, should @format always be "html"?

Chris Papademetrious

Hello fellow DITA-neers!

For an external <xref> to a web URL, should @format always be set to "html"?

<xref href="https://www.website.com/downloads/manual.pdf" scope="external" format="html"/>
<xref href="https://www.website.com/downloads/figure.svg" scope="external" format="html"/>

Or should the type of file referenced by the web URL be considered too?

My thinking is that an https:// reference to any web URL should use format="html" (so that DITA-OT processing can build and decorate links correctly), and that only references to local files should use format="pdf" or format="svg" or similar:

<xref href="../downloads/manual.pdf" scope="external" format="pdf"/>
<xref href="../downloads/figure.svg" scope="external" format="svg"/>

But I'm wondering if others have first-hand experience that says otherwise. Thoughts?

...although looking in

<DITA-OT>/plugins/org.dita.html5/xsl/rel-links.xsl

link creation seems to follow the same path for all @format values other than dita.

 - Chris