Topics

[EXT]: Re: [dita-users] Topichead usage and best practice #bookmap

In HTML output, the problem is:

  • No actual topic.html exists
  • TOC link has no topic to display in the reading pane
  • Title text doesn’t display in the breadcrumb navigation
  • Can’t select the TOC link and all its child topics and export to PDF or share in email

To get around those problems, you have to create an topic with a title (and preferably a useful short description).  From a minimalist perspective, this is not ideal.

In cloud publishing systems, where topic count equals investment, every topic should be meaningful and useful, and large numbers of title only topics create possible duplication and a hit on total topic count. Search results return many instances of what appears to be the same topic, so you have to apply metadata to the source to ensure the correct title only topic returns it’s associated publication.

These might be some reasons why <topichead> or <topicref> without an href value shouldn’t be used for HTML publications.

Mona Ross | Sr. Information Architect | Ellucian® | M:+1.304.596.3712 | www.ellucian.com