Topics

Dita Build Successful But No PDF Output Generated #DITA-OT #PDF #bookmap

bvigneshwaran21@...

Dear All,
I am a new Dita learner. Recently, I purchased the Dita for Print Book and I am trying to do the exercises given in the book.
I successfully built an ant file. When I generate output, I get a message stating that the build is successful. But I do not find any PDF file. Please help me.
I have attached the screenshots of the following:
  1. Build Successful Message.
  2. Ant file Contents
  3. DitaMap File Location

I have been blindly following the commands in the exercises. This problem that I face is not allowing me to proceed. Please help me to understand my mistake. Thank you.
1.Build Successful

2. Contents of the Ant File

3. Dita Map Location

Reece Roggentien

This Ant file is simply deleting your output directory and then calling the build.xml file in plugins/com.try.custpdf. Does build.xml include the code to build the PDF?

-Reece

From: main@dita-users.groups.io <main@dita-users.groups.io> On Behalf Of bvigneshwaran21 via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2020 12:25 PM
To: main@dita-users.groups.io
Subject: [dita-users] Dita Build Successful But No PDF Output Generated #DITA-OT #bookmap #PDF

Dear All,
I am a new Dita learner. Recently, I purchased the Dita for Print Book and I am trying to do the exercises given in the book.
I successfully built an ant file. When I generate output, I get a message stating that the build is successful. But I do not find any PDF file. Please help me.
I have attached the screenshots of the following:

1. Build Successful Message.
  2. Ant file Contents
  3. DitaMap File Location

I have been blindly following the commands in the exercises. This problem that I face is not allowing me to proceed. Please help me to understand my mistake. Thank you.
1.Build Successful

2. Contents of the Ant File

3. Dita Map Location

Leigh White

Hi there,

Your ANT file is not *quite* a copy of what's in the book. 🙂 You have the line

<ant antfile="${dita.dir}/plugins/com.try.custpdf/build.xml">

which calls the build file in your plugin. If you've followed the instructions in the second edition of the book (which is meant for DITA OT 2.x), then you do not have a build file in your plugin.

You want to copy the line exactly as it is in the example in the "Create an ANT build file/Reality check" topic, which is:

<ant antfile="${dita.dir}/build.xml">

This calls the main build file in the OT itself, which kicks off a whole pipeline of things that must happen for a successful build.

That said, if you are using this ANT file as-is, then you need to be building a ditamap named WidgetUserGuide.ditamap, which lives at C:\Widget, and you need to be outputting to C:\Widget\output\pdf, and the transtype defined for your custom PDF plugin must be "custpdf." In other words, you have to be exactly matching my example in all respects for this to work.

Also, if you can, I would recommend updating from OT 2.0 to OT 2.5.4. The version you have is an early 2.0 version and likely to include a lot of bugs that have been fixed in later versions. OT 2.5.4 is the last 2.x version and is quite robust and widely used.

Best,
Leigh

bvigneshwaran21@...

Hello, Leigh,

Thank you so much for responding.

Based on your advice, I redirected the path of the Build Files to the build.xml file in the dita-ot folder. (Image is attached for your kind reference)
I made sure that all the instructions mentioned in your book are followed. But still, the PDF file is not generated in the output folder, but the build is successful.

I have attached the following:
  1. The output log files.
  2. Screenshot of the output folder
  3. Screenshot of the ant file.
I really have no clue why PDF is not generated. Please help me.

You had advised to upgrade to v2.5.4. (But the full install version is not available for this version.I guess only the minimal version is available to install and that does not have the build file. It just has some folders. In that case,do i need to copy the build.xml files from a fully installed version and paste it to this version.)
  1. I have also attached the screenshot of the 2.5.4 Folder contents. From where to I install the full version. Please guide me.

Radu Coravu

Hi,

If you look in the console output the publishing seems to break because one of your XSLT stylesheets is not wellformed:

[xslt] C:\dita-ot\plugins\com.try.custpdf\cfg\fo\attrs\custom.xsl:6:6: Fatal Error! Error reported by XML parser Cause: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:C:/dita-ot/plugins/com.try.custpdf/cfg/fo/attrs/custom.xsl; lineNumber: 6; columnNumber: 6; Attribute name "version" associated with an element type "xsl" must be followed by the ' = ' character.
Maybe you can fix that error first and then continue your customization.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
Oxygen XML Editor
On 8/9/20 5:44 PM, bvigneshwaran21@... wrote:
Hello, Leigh,

Thank you so much for responding.

Based on your advice, I redirected the path of the Build Files to the build.xml file in the dita-ot folder. (Image is attached for your kind reference)
I made sure that all the instructions mentioned in your book are followed. But still, the PDF file is not generated in the output folder, but the build is successful.

I have attached the following:
  1. The output log files.
  2. Screenshot of the output folder
  3. Screenshot of the ant file.
I really have no clue why PDF is not generated. Please help me.

You had advised to upgrade to v2.5.4. (But the full install version is not available for this version.I guess only the minimal version is available to install and that does not have the build file. It just has some folders. In that case,do i need to copy the build.xml files from a fully installed version and paste it to this version.)
  1. I have also attached the screenshot of the 2.5.4 Folder contents. From where to I install the full version. Please guide me.