Topics

DITA and e-learning?

Yves Barbion

Hi group

I've got a customer who is interested in DITA (for technical documentation) and who also wants to reuse DITA-structured content for e-learning (with a Learning Content Management System).

Sounds interesting but... I have already found these posts:

and when I googled "dita and lcms" I only found this:

So I guess DITA and e-learning don't match? Wondering why...

Kind regards

Yves

Sarah O'Keefe

Hi Yves,

We've had a couple of customers ask about this. It's theoretically possible to extract SCORM from DITA and then ingest SCORM into an LCMS/LMS. But there are a lot of problems along the way.

In addition to the technical challenges, the biggest sticking point is that the e-learning authoring needs to happen in a DITA environment, and this does NOT make the e-learning developers very happy.

Sarah

July 14, 2020 at 9:11 AM

--
Sarah O’Keefe
CEO, Scriptorium

Yves Barbion

Hi Sarah

I knew you would chime in. ;-)

In my case, our technical writers would develop the e-learning content and they would be VERY happy in a DITA environment (aka Oxygen ;-) ), but I guess the customer wouldn't be happy with "a lot of problems".

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 15:25, Sarah O'Keefe <okeefe@...> wrote:
[...]

ekimber@contrext.com

DITA and E-Learning *should* match but it's been a struggle getting generally-available tooling in place. SAS has been using DITA with the L&T specializations to do training materials for years and I did a lot of work 10 years ago to produce documents that use L&T interactions (test questions) for printed tests and questions and answers in textbooks.

The L&T specializations were designed to reflect best (or at least current best at the time) practice for instructional design. The interaction design was guided specifically by the QTI markup design (a markup design for delivering online assessments).

Part of the challenge I think is that for traditional education users DITA is too foreign and for providers of LMS systems they have no motivation to support or incorporate a standard that is only partially concerned with instructional content.

For technical documentation groups, it requires cooperation and integration with whatever the training organization is (if there is one).

There's then the practical challenge of developing deliverables like slides: If you go to almost any DITA conference in the last 10 years there will be at least one talk about how to get slides from DITA content. I myself started implementing The Slidinator (github) as a tool to author and produce PowerPoint slides from DITA content, but the driving customer did not continue the project and so it has gone fallow

In a number of contexts we also ran into authoring challenges. In particular, authoring non-trivial assessment questions is hard no matter how you do it and no out-of-the-box DITA-aware editor did it. [Having recently done a lot with Oxygen Web Author I'm pretty sure I could implement a decent assessment editing environment with an appropriate budget but it would still be a lot of effort.]

Likewise, I tried to use DITA to develop the DITA courseware I thought I could build into a business but I found I really wanted the PowerPower authoring experience and I didn't have time to adapt Oxygen to provide that (which it totally could, somebody just needs to do it, and again, it would take some effort).

I think for print-primary publishers the L&T interactions (especially version 2 defined in DITA 1.3) are a good fit for authoring and producing printed materials, which then also justifies the cost to translate them to whatever the learning delivery systems are).

It's always been frustrating to me, and I know it's been frustrating to others, that DITA learning content hasn't taken better hold--I think it's just one of those things that needed someone or some organization to do something serious with it in the public domain and that just never happened to the degree it needed to.

On 7/14/20, 8:11 AM, "Yves Barbion" <main@dita-users.groups.io on behalf of yves.barbion@...> wrote:

Hi group

I've got a customer who is interested in DITA (for technical documentation) and who also wants to reuse DITA-structured content for e-learning (with a Learning Content Management System).

Sounds interesting but... I have already found these posts:

https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/message/41880

https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/topic/74520008#45497

and when I googled "dita and lcms" I only found this:

https://learningnews.com/news/exact-learning-solutions/2012/new-xml-dita-editor-for-exact-lcms-presented-at-key-learning-technologies-events-in-london-and-karlsruhe