Copying an internal link for a new browser, using a right-click. Is it possible?

Scott Barney

The issue:

Our support wants to be able to right-click on an internal link, and end up with a URL that can be pasted in a separate browser, to bring the reader to a specific section of the page.

The link is being created as a cross reference link in the DITA file:

In our HTML output (DITA-OT and Oxygen WebHelp):
- If I click on the link, I am taken to the correct page, scrolled to the linked-to section. Which is to be expected, that it how it is designed to work.
- If I right-click and copy that link, then paste into another browser, it *flashes* to the right section -- but then the URL rewrites itself to be the URL of the page itself and I am taken to the top of the page.

For example, with the code above:
- The right-click pastes this link:
   https://intranet.xxx.com/distrib/manuals/FOURJS/FJSONLY/trunk/fjs-fgl-latest-manual-html-draft/fgl-topics/r_fgl_errors_001.html#r_fgl_errors_001__error-250

- After the paste, and the flash of where I want to be, the URL is rewritten to be:
  https://intranet.xxx.com/distrib/manuals/FOURJS/FJSONLY/trunk/fjs-fgl-latest-manual-html-draft/index.html#fgl-topics/r_fgl_errors_001.html
  And we are taken to the top of the page.

Has anyone needed to solve this issue, and if so, how did you do it?

Marius Ciolacu

Hello,

Following your instructions we were unable to reproduce the problem on a WebHelp Responsive output neither in the latest version of Oxygen nor in older versions.

However, if you are reproducing the problem on an WebHelp Classic output, please note that support for this was deprecated few years ago, and removed completely in the latest version of Oxygen/WebHelp.

If you want further help with this please provide more details about your used WebHelp version directly to our support email address (support@...).

Best regards,

Marius

--

Marius Ciolacu

Syncro Soft / Oxygen XML

Scott Barney

Thank you Marius - we are indeed using WebHelp Classic. We have some issues to solve before moving to WebHelp Responsive; however, this need may force the move.

Regards,

Scott