Topics

AntennaHouse PDF ML

Bill Burns

Hello!

Looking at recommending a base for some PDF plugins on a couple of projects. We're curious how many people are using the PDF5 ML plugin from AntennaHouse to base their plugs. It seems well designed and surprisingly nonproprietary given its origin.

If you have used it as your base, what challenges have you encountered with it? How does it compare favorably to the PDF2 plugin?

Bill Burns
512-646-2100
--
We are [A]

Toshihiko Makita

Hi Bill,

Thank you for paying your attention to PDF5-ML plug-in.
In Japan, I hear that most of DITA developers use PDF5-ML plug-in as the base for their DITA users. We (Antenna House) also use this plug-in for PDF generation as the base plug-in for user customization.
In the world-wide, I have many customization requests through GitHub issue tracker and many of them are implemented. (Continued table header & footer, floating figure, dynamic paper size assignment, conditional style definition etc.)

However, the defects also exist. The language resources (literals) are not prepared in comparison of PDF2 plug-in. The user who uses PDF5-ML plug-in must prepare these resources by themselves. Also I’ve tested this plug-in with AH Formatter only and the plug-in uses several AH Formatter specific extensions (FO properties prefixed by “axf:”) to get better formatting results.

Hope this helps your understanding.

 Toshihiko Makita
 Development Group. Antenna House, Inc. Ina Branch
 Web site:
 http://www.antenna.co.jp/
 http://www.antennahouse.com/

Bill Burns

Thank you for the insight, Toshihiko-san.

Bill