Topics

[ann][webinar] What techcomm can learn from the games industry with Samantha Blackmon #Room42 Oct 28th @ 15:30 UTC #room42

Liz Fraley

Title: What techcomm can learn from the games industry

When: Wednesday, Oct 28th @ (8:30 LAX | 11:30 NYC | 16:30 LON | 20:00 BLR)

Register: https://bit.ly/35ohHRp

Samantha Blackmon will be In The Room!

Room 42 is where practitioners and academics meet to share knowledge about breaking research in an approachable, accessible way.

In our next session, Samantha Blackmon, Purdue University, will be in the room.

Sam will be discussing how to use games in our scholarship, our content projects, and in the classroom. We'll talk about the importance of reaching your audience -- ALWAYS, meeting them where they are, and how to reflect and relate to them. She'll also discuss how lessons from the gaming industry can be useful anywhere people are learning, absorbing, and interacting with content. For example, she'll talk about how games have a way of "scaffolding their tutorials," that promotes quick adoption and long term retention in content consumers.

We're looking forward to exploring what techcomm can learn from the games industry in the next Room 42.

Samantha Blackmon (she/her) is a gamer/researcher/games researcher who loves playing games with her daughter and talking about games with anyone else who will listen or watch. She is passionate about games and making the games community a more inclusive space. Her research focuses on bringing together the voices of gamers, academics, and games industry folks in order to get a fuller picture of the games community and all of the people who comprise it. Her greatest academic goal is to create scholarship that is informed by and accessible to those outside of the academy, which makes for some pretty non-traditional work.

Her recent work has included looking at how to use games in the classroom and a Black Feminist Mixtape analysis of how Black women have affected the video game industry. She is currently working on a project that pays homage to the upcoming 10th anniversary of her blog and podcast, Not Your Mama’s Gamer, and a project that looks at representation and visibility of marginalized people on live streaming platforms. Samantha loves video games, books, crafting, and coffee, definitely coffee.

-:-

The Room 42 is brought to you by Single-Sourcing Solutions. Learn more: http://room42.single-sourcing.com

Register: https://bit.ly/35ohHRp