Topics

a reltable question, I think … #reltable

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

I need a first, top-level topic to have a list (probably 'related information') that shows references to nine subtopics.
Each of the nine subtopics then needs a 'related information' list showing the other eight – but does not need to mention the top-level topic.
I've managed the second requirement with a single-column reltable, but I can't work out how to meet the first requirement.
Approximate example below; hints and tips welcome!

- - - - - - - - -
topic 1 title "too much information"
The information is presented on nine tabs.

1.1 baby salvia
1.2 colouring book
1.3 unicorn tacos
1.4 forage lo-fi
1.5 brunch
1.6 tacos biodiesel
1.7 street art
1.8 hexagon master
1.9 Polaroid tofu
- - - - - - - - -

topic 1.1 title "baby salvia"
Helvetica glossier skateboard palo santo cred activated charcoal post-ironic butcher pug roof party hella venmo. Lyft synth thundercats chillwave, sartorial fashion axe brooklyn pop-up fixie quinoa post-ironic brunch.

related information
1.2 colouring book
1.3 unicorn tacos
1.4 forage lo-fi
1.5 brunch
1.6 tacos biodiesel
1.7 street art
1.8 hexagon master
1.9 Polaroid tofu
- - - - - - - - -

topic 1.2 title "colouring book"
Offal beard. Lyft cliche air plant echo park 90's vexillologist. Forage pinterest blue bottle celiac. Sriracha tumblr quinoa, aesthetic four loko kale chips next level vegan hell of. Cold-pressed raw denim bitters cornhole austin migas.

related information
1.1 baby salvia
1.3 unicorn tacos
1.4 forage lo-fi
1.5 brunch
1.6 tacos biodiesel
1.7 street art
1.8 hexagon master
1.9 Polaroid tofu
- - - - - - - - -

topic 1.3 title "unicorn tacos"
Bitters godard iceland mumblecore woke pop-up authentic quinoa retro chambray. Paleo bespoke locavore snackwave unicorn jianbing knausgaard four dollar toast swag pinterest activated charcoal sustainable viral ennui.

related information
1.1 baby salvia
1.2 colouring book
1.4 forage lo-fi
1.5 brunch
1.6 tacos biodiesel
1.7 street art
1.8 hexagon master
1.9 Polaroid tofu

Yves Barbion

Hi Niels

If you use Oxygen and you publish to responsive webhelp, you can set this in your parameters of the DITA-OT:

webhelp.show.child.links: yes

I guess/hope other tools and publication formats have something similar. MiramoPDF, for example, has "includeChapterTOC:yes".

Cheers

Yves

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 15:44, Niels Grundtvig Nielsen <niels.grundtvignielsen@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Papademetrious

Hi Niels,

For the first, we developed a <mini-toc> element that allows us to put inline unordered lists of child topics wherever we want, optionally with introductory content. See:

For example,

<mini-toc><p>This is described in the following topics:</p></mini-toc>

becomes

This is described in the following topics:

  • Subtopic 1
  • Subtopic 2
  • Subtopic 3

Plus in Oxygen's PDF Chemistry, we apply the CSS keep-with-previous pagination property to keep the topic list with its introduction.

It's not exactly what you want (i.e. not in a related links section) but it's tangentially related so I figured I'd throw it out there.

 - Chris

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

Thanks, Chris and Yves – we have a couple of hundred topics in this help set so far, and this is the first time we’ve needed to tackle this particular challenge.

Pending a more thorough investigation of the possibilities you mention, I’ve opted for a hand-rolled <related links> section in the top-level topic, but used a reltable for the links between the low-level topics.

Caution! External email. Do not open attachments or click links, unless this email comes from a known sender and you know the content is safe.

Hi Niels,

For the first, we developed a <mini-toc> element that allows us to put inline unordered lists of child topics wherever we want, optionally with introductory content. See:

For example,

<mini-toc><p>This is described in the following topics:</p></mini-toc>

becomes

This is described in the following topics:

  • Subtopic 1
  • Subtopic 2
  • Subtopic 3

Plus in Oxygen's PDF Chemistry, we apply the CSS keep-with-previous pagination property to keep the topic list with its introduction.

It's not exactly what you want (i.e. not in a related links section) but it's tangentially related so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Worldline is a registered trade mark and trading name owned by Worldline through its holding company.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this e-mail in error, you are not authorized to copy, disclose, use or retain it. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your systems. As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost, they are not secure. Worldline therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their content. Although Worldline endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and can accept no liability for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted. The risks are deemed to be accepted by everyone who communicates with Worldline by email.