Publishing DITA content to knowledge bases

I'm curious if there are any of you publishing DITA content to knowledge bases like for example Zendesk Guide, SalesForce, ServiceNow, Confluence or FreshDesk.

And how do you do that? Do you publish to HTML and then paste the content in the knowledge base? Or use a custom publishing plugin to accomplish that?

What are your challenges in doing that?

Josh Honomichl

Hi Radu,

I'm currently working on a project to leverage our CMS-generated PDF outputs through the webspace in multiple ways, including knowlegebase delivery. The copy-paste route is a dead end as it's prohibitively expensive, doesn't scale, and extremely error-prone. We've found that the best option for achieving this end is to either engineer a custom OT plugin that you configure to push content into the pipeline, or invest in a tool that intakes DITA natively (ZoomIn, Ingenuix, etc). At this point, we are starting with the scripted deployments through a custom plugin, but the plan is to graduate to a purpose-built, enterprise-class deployment tool as soon as possible once we can prove our financial case.

The major challenges in the scripted deployment deal primarily with the limitations and requirements of the destination web CMS/tool. The creation of the custom JSON plugin is not really much of a problem. The most difficult part of us will likely be creation of the transactional API scripts as our destination tools are somewhat particular about how they import content.

Let me know if you have any questions.
josh

DANIEL ESSIET

Which are  the best softwares for a beginning technical writer?
Thank you kindly.
Daniel Essiet
Lagos

On Sat, May 8, 2021, 10:08 PM Josh Honomichl <honomijr@...> wrote:
[...]

Radu Coravu

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the details, any knowledge base tool (like Zendesk, Confluence) you are interested in particular? Or do you just want to have the flexibility to choose the delivery later on?

On 5/9/21 00:08, Josh Honomichl wrote:

[...]

Ozana Dragomir

Hi Radu,

We are not publishing DITA content to any such knowledge base, but some of our teams are interested in publishing to Confluence.

From my point of view, it would be worth it if we could also export from Confluence to DITA, but I am not aware of anyone doing that.

Thanks
Ozana

Pieterjan Vandenweghe

Hi Radu,

We use - amongst others - Xwiki as a knowledge base/collaborative intranet.
All the content from the DITA team is written in DITA and everything that doesn't relate to DITA, can quickly be created by adding new pages in Xwiki itself.

Workflow for the DITA content (stored in a GitHub repository):
  1. DITA topics are published with the default HTML5 DITA-OT plug-in to a dedicated folder in the GitHub repository.
  2. Import into Xwiki from the dedicated GitHub folder.
    During import the HTML5 topics are converted to the Xwiki standard (using Pandoc if I am not mistaken). It also imports metadata such as keyword, author...
So, no manual work after publishing from OxygenXML on our side besides clicking the import button in Xwiki (which could eventually also be automated).
Should you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

kind regards,
Pieterjan

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 3:53 PM Ozana Dragomir <ozana.dragomir@...> wrote:
Hi Radu,

We are not publishing DITA content to any such knowledge base, but some of our teams are interested in publishing to Confluence.

From my point of view, it would be worth it if we could also export from Confluence to DITA, but I am not aware of anyone doing that.

Thanks
Ozana

Radu Coravu

Hi Pieterjan,

Thanks for sharing your usecase.

On 5/10/21 19:12, Pieterjan Vandenweghe wrote:

[...]

From my point of view, it would be worth it if we could also export from Confluence to DITA, but I am not aware of anyone doing that.

Thanks
Ozana

Radu Coravu

Hi Ozana,

Thanks for sharing this. The easiest approach I found to get DITA to Confluence was to produce a Word document from DITA and then import it in Confluence but probably a more specialized publishing plugin would be interesting too here.

On 5/10/21 16:53, Ozana Dragomir wrote:

Hi Radu,

We are not publishing DITA content to any such knowledge base, but some of our teams are interested in publishing to Confluence.

From my point of view, it would be worth it if we could also export from Confluence to DITA, but I am not aware of anyone doing that.

Thanks
Ozana

We were really interested in this (DITA -> Confluence) a year or so ago, but gave it up as too impractical to maintain, given the tools available.
Grant
Grant Hogarth
Technical Writer, Services Tools team
Workiva Inc.

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 10:30 PM Radu Coravu <radu_coravu@...> wrote:

Hi Ozana,

Thanks for sharing this. The easiest approach I found to get DITA to Confluence was to produce a Word document from DITA and then import it in Confluence but probably a more specialized publishing plugin would be interesting too here.

On 5/10/21 16:53, Ozana Dragomir wrote:
Hi Radu,

We are not publishing DITA content to any such knowledge base, but some of our teams are interested in publishing to Confluence.

From my point of view, it would be worth it if we could also export from Confluence to DITA, but I am not aware of anyone doing that.

Thanks
Ozana

Thomas Rathkamp

There used to be a DITA-to-Confluence plugin years ago, but A) You needed the Confluence server to use it (where I was working at the time, we only had the Client) and B) I am not certain the plugin exists anymore.

Tom Rathkamp
Senior Technical Writer

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 09:55:25 AM CDT, Grant Hogarth <grant.hogarth@...> wrote:

We were really interested in this (DITA -> Confluence) a year or so ago, but gave it up as too impractical to maintain, given the tools available.
Grant
Grant Hogarth
Technical Writer, Services Tools team
Workiva Inc.

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 10:30 PM Radu Coravu <radu_coravu@...> wrote:

Hi Ozana,

Thanks for sharing this. The easiest approach I found to get DITA to Confluence was to produce a Word document from DITA and then import it in Confluence but probably a more specialized publishing plugin would be interesting too here.

On 5/10/21 16:53, Ozana Dragomir wrote:
Hi Radu,

We are not publishing DITA content to any such knowledge base, but some of our teams are interested in publishing to Confluence.

From my point of view, it would be worth it if we could also export from Confluence to DITA, but I am not aware of anyone doing that.

Thanks
Ozana

Chris Papademetrious

Hi Radu,

We upload our HTML OLH content to an AWS server, then make it accessible to our users via a Salesforce/Coveo portal.

 - Chris