A solution to reuse content between two maps and keep the folder structure? Maybe profiling? #reuse

Vladimir Markiev

Hello everyone! I am using Oxygen XML Author and I have two maps that have a lot of similar content. Right now, the content is not reused, but it would be great to make it reusable. The maps are called InstallGuide and AdminGuide they are stored on the disk with the following hierarchy:

disk root
..common
....InstallGuide.ditamap
..Product
....ProductFeatures
......MainProduct
........AdminGuide.ditamap

Is there a way to put a new parent map to disk root and include my other two maps in it? Right now if I try, the maps are included, but only as non-editable references so I can't setup any reuse and can't set profiling attributes.

Why do I need profiling?
Since the maps are two different documents I want to be able to profile them from the parent map. But I want to also be able to reuse content from one map to another. Moreover, I would want to keep the folder structure unchanged. Is that possible?

I can't get my head around the solution for my "wants". Maybe someone can propose a better way to achieve the goal, I would appreciate that.

Only about this particular comment that you had:

Is there a way to put a new parent map to disk root and include my other two maps in it? Right now if I try, the maps are included, but only as non-editable references so I can't setup any reuse and can't set profiling attributes.
I assume you are editing the top level DITA Map in the Oxygen DITA Maps Manager view. By default the DITA Maps Manager allows editing only the content of the current opened DITA Map, if you want to edit submaps (for example set profiling attributes on their topicrefs) you need to open the separately in the DITA Maps Manager view. In Oxygen 23.0 we added in the Oxygen Preferences->"DITA / Maps" page a checkbox named "Allow referenced submaps to be edited". When checked it should allow you to make changes to submaps directly when the top level DITA Map is opened in the "DITA Maps Manager view".

On 3/29/21 12:01, grolribasi@... wrote:
[...]

Arthur PROVENIER

Hi,

I’m not sure about it but in Oxygen there is a concept called “root map” : https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/23.1/ug-author/topics/root-map.html?hl=root%2Cmap

Specifying the correct root map helps to prevent validation problems when you work with keyrefs and also acts as the foundation for content completion.

Arthur

Vladimir Markiev

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, our version of Oxygen is 22.1 and it doesn't have that function.

Vladimir Markiev

I’m not sure about it but in Oxygen there is a concept called “root map”
I see. You mean resolving the keys against the root map which will always be my parent map. This may actually be helpful for reuse. Thanks for the good tip.

With some effort, I was able to set up profiling for the maps. I will try to use the root map for resolving references.