WebHelp on a shoestring? #dita-ot #DITA-OT

Nancy Roberts

Hi again,

I'm looking into providing webhelp for a single client I freelance for. What's the cheapest way to get webhelp output? Oxygen Editor offers a $200 personal license, which is still a lot for a single client. I've found a freeware editor (Codex), and of course the OT itself is free. Is there a free webhelp plugin anywhere to the OT? I can't find one that looks viable.

Thanks!
Nancy

Mark Giffin

Do you need webhelp features like full-text search? That's the hardest thing to do yourself. What about giving them plain HTML5 output

On 2/28/2021 10:52 AM, Nancy Roberts wrote:
Hi again,

I'm looking into providing webhelp for a single client I freelance for. What's the cheapest way to get webhelp output? Oxygen Editor offers a $200 personal license, which is still a lot for a single client. I've found a freeware editor (Codex), and of course the OT itself is free. Is there a free webhelp plugin anywhere to the OT? I can't find one that looks viable.

Thanks!
Nancy

David Hollis

Hi Nancy,

What about DITA to WordPress?

HTH,
David

Hi again,

I'm looking into providing webhelp for a single client I freelance for. What's the cheapest way to get webhelp output? Oxygen Editor offers a $200 personal license, which is still a lot for a single client. I've found a freeware editor (Codex), and of course the OT itself is free. Is there a free webhelp plugin anywhere to the OT? I can't find one that looks viable.

Thanks!
Nancy

Rodolfo M. Raya

Hello Nancy,

You can generate nice web help and other formats with Conversa, https://www.maxprograms.com/products/conversa.html

Conversa is free and open source. It uses XMLMind's DITA Converter (ditac) to generate output from your DITA sources.

You can configure the appearance of the generated web help, although the default already looks good.

Give it a try, the price is not an obstacle :)

Regards,
Rodolfo

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 3:52 PM Nancy Roberts <nanr93@...> wrote:
Hi again,

I'm looking into providing webhelp for a single client I freelance for. What's the cheapest way to get webhelp output? Oxygen Editor offers a $200 personal license, which is still a lot for a single client. I've found a freeware editor (Codex), and of course the OT itself is free. Is there a free webhelp plugin anywhere to the OT? I can't find one that looks viable.

Thanks!
Nancy

Nancy Roberts

Hi Mark,

HTML5 is the backup plan. I was hoping to find another way, that's all.

Thanks!
Nancy

Nancy Roberts

Hi David,

I don't know the first thing about WordPress. I'll look into it.

Thanks!
Nancy

Nancy Roberts

Hi Rodolfo,

Just so I understand - if I use Conversa, there's no need for an installation of the DITAOT?

Thanks,
Nancy

David Hollis

Hi Nancy,

WordPress is not really webhelp, but there are tools to convert DITA-OT output to WordPress.

BTW, one approach to site search is to use Google, with site=<URL> added to the query.

HTH,
David

Hi David,

I don't know the first thing about WordPress. I'll look into it.

Thanks!
Nancy

Rodolfo M. Raya

That's correct, Nancy.

Conversa does not need DITA-OT. It includes ditac and generates web help right out of the box.

Regards,
Rodolfo

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Nancy Roberts <nanr93@...> wrote:
Hi Rodolfo,

Just so I understand - if I use Conversa, there's no need for an installation of the DITAOT?

Thanks,
Nancy

Rodolfo M. Raya

Conversa also generates HTML5 and is free.

Regards,
Rodolfo

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:33 PM Nancy Roberts <nanr93@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,

HTML5 is the backup plan. I was hoping to find another way, that's all.

Thanks!
Nancy

Nancy Roberts

Gentlemen, thanks very much. I'll be back with more questions as they come up.

Regards,
Nancy