New installation of the DITA-OT #DITA-OT

Nancy Roberts

Hi all,

I'm an experienced DITA user, but I've only ever used Oxygen or the Ixiasoft CMS to produce documentation for the company I work for. Now I've got a private client interested in HTML output of some sort (we'll probably settle on HTML5). I'm trying to put together an inexpensive DITA solution (read: free). I found and installed Codex, which seems promising. Then I installed the Adopt OpenJDK and the DITA-OT, v3.6. I set the PATH variable, in accordance with the installation instructions. I am able to run a bunch of commands, but I can't generate any output using the sample map (sequence.ditamap) and preinstalled plugins that come with the OT.

Here's what I'm getting:

C:\Users\nanr9>dita --input=sequence.ditamap format=dita
Error: Transformation type not defined

←[1mUsage←[0m:
  dita -i <file> -f <name> [options]
  dita --project=<file> [options]

←[1mSubcommands←[0m:
  deliverables                  Print list of deliverables in project file
  install                       Install or reload plug-ins
  plugins                       Print list of installed plug-ins
  transtypes                    Print list of installed transformation types (output formats)
  uninstall                     Remove and delete plug-in
  version                       Print version information and exit

  See 'dita <subcommand> --help' for details about a specific subcommand.

←[1mArguments←[0m:
  -i <file>, --input=<file>     Input file
  -f <name>, --format=<name>    Output format (transformation type)
  -p <file>, --project=<file>   Publish a project file with multiple deliverables

←[1mOptions←[0m:
  --filter=<files>              Filter and flagging files. This option can be passed multiple times.
  -h, --help                    Print help information
  -o <dir>, --output=<dir>      Output directory
  -r <file>, --resource=<file>  Additional input resources. This option can be passed multiple times.

See 'dita --help' for full list of options.

When I run transtypes, I can see both HTML5 and XHTML are installed:

C:\Users\nanr9>dita --transtypes
xhtml
eclipsehelp
html5
htmlhelp
dita
pdf
pdf2
markdown
markdown_github
       markdown_gitbook

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Nancy

Alan Houser

Hi,

It looks like you're missing the double-dash before "format"? And I suspect you want "--format=html5" (or xhtml).

HTH!

-Alan

--
Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.

Nancy Roberts

Whoops, I pasted the wrong example. Like I said, I'm good with GUI-based tools. I've never done anything serious with the command line. This is sort of a trial by fire.

So now my problem is the input path. I've tried every combination of .\ and ..\ that I can think of. I can't find the right combination to run the sample map provided in the OT. The map's path is C:\Program Files\dita-ot-3.6\docsrc\samples\sequence.ditamp. I set the PATH environment variable to C:\Program Files\dita-ot-3.6\bin.

How do I run this command? Running the suggested syntax gets me nowhere:
--input=sequence.ditamap --format=html5
Error: Failed to run pipeline: [DOTA069F][FATAL] Input file 'file:/C:/Program%20Files/dita-ot-3.6/sequence.ditamap' cannot be located or read. Ensure that file was specified properly and that you have permission to access it.

Adding some combination of .\ and ..\ makes it worse.
Help...

Thanks!
Nancy

Dan Vint

I think you need to quote the path because of the space in "Program Files". Quote the whole path and I think it will work.

[...]

Hi again,

How about ... in your Windows shell, change you current directory to the location of sequence.ditamap? (I usually work in a UNIX shell ... "cd" command. It may be "dir" in Windows). If you're using "--input=sequence.ditamap", the 'dita' command will look for the ditamap in the current directory. (Since your "PATH environment variable is set, your system should find the 'dita' command regardless of current directory).

Or try using the full path to the ditamap as an argument to --input: "--input=C:\Program Files\dita-ot-3.6\docsrc\samples\sequence.ditamp". Another possibility ... you may need to double each backslash character: "\\".

HTH!

-Alan

On 2/27/21 10:11 PM, Nancy Roberts wrote:
[...]

That worked - thank you! And thank you too, Alan!

Have a great evening.

Nancy