hide and seek

Aaron Mehl

Hi all,
I have a document with a topic that I don't want displayed, but at the same time I want it available to users if need be.
This might be with a link or maybe outside the flow of the entire document.
But since it isn't an essential part of the document, I don't want it included in the web output.

I have for example a topic which contains subtopics called editing Accounts. My document is about creating accounts but if they made a mistake they need to find editing accounts.

Now for my question:
How do I hide editing accounts in my Dita map? Now it is included in my map as a subtopic to creating accounts, and disturbing the flow of the document.
Where should I put it in my dita map, if at all?
Is there a way to leave it in-place, and somehow just hide it?

Thanks,
Aaron

Jeff Hooker

I believe that if you create relationship table for the topic, it will end up in the "related links" section of a topic and will therefore be packaged with your help system, but won't appear in the TOC

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:59 AM Aaron Mehl via groups.io <mehlzaidy770=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Chris Brand

Hi

Hm, I would keep it as part of the document structure and don't try to hide it. Maybe move it to a troubleshooting section after the main chapters? You said "...if they made a mistake". That screams for troubleshooting. So, if something goes wrong, you could direct the readers to this dedicated chapter.

Hope it helps.

Chris

Am 23.02.21 um 20:59 schrieb Aaron Mehl via groups.io:

[...]

Thanks, I like both ideas, maybe an appendix...
Thanks,
Aaron

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 03:28:24 PM EST, Chris Brand via groups.io <chrizzbee74@...> wrote:

[...]

nkerzreho

Hi there

I would do as suggested above.
Add the topic to the structure with attribute @toc=no
Add the topic in a relationship table to link into to another meaningful/logical topic.

I also index the content (indexterm/keywords), if that fits your outputs.

Good luck,
Nolwenn

Dave C

If you add an xref to the topic (like in a tip or something) but don't include the topic in the map the topic will be included in the webhelp output and the link will work, but it will not show up in navigation. The downside is that it will break the breaks-crumb navigation and the miniTOC.

Dave C.

Aaron Mehl

Thanks for all the suggestions, I haven't used index terms yet, I will look into it, and I am implementing the other ideas.
Aaron

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 09:21:37 AM EST, Dave C <dac.dave@...> wrote:

If you add an xref to the topic (like in a tip or something) but don't include the topic in the map the topic will be included in the webhelp output and the link will work, but it will not show up in navigation. The downside is that it will break the breaks-crumb navigation and the miniTOC.

Dave C.

selvats@...

Please use the toc=no attribute on the topicref for the topic to hide it from the TOC.

Aaron Mehl

This I did, but I was referring to the actual document flow. I added topics to explain a topic. I now see that what I wanted was to streamline the published document so the end user wouldn't get bogged down or confused.
Aaron