Job Search: Need advice on finding DITA jobs. #jobhunting

Westley W.

Hello,

My company's production team, who handles converting content into DITA, has been informed they will be laid-off at the end of the year.  While they still have a few months with us, I want to aid them in searching for future employment.  The company is based in the Midwest, but all employees have been working remote. The content they've converted is centered around book publishing and e-learning, but I believe they can perform well with technical content.

Is anyone aware of companies that have employment availability or job boards other than LinkedIn? I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,

Westley

Wayne Brissette

Westley W. wrote on 2020-08-21 12:13:
The company is based in the Midwest, but all employees have been working remote. The content they've converted is centered around book publishing and e-learning, but I believe they can perform well with technical content.
What might be helpful is knowing more about what converting content is. I guess I'm thinking more about what specific skills they have. XSL:FO? Java? that sort of thing. There are a lot of folks here on this list and often times I find it useful to know what skills people have in case we need people.

-Wayne

Westley W.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:47 AM, Wayne Brissette wrote:
What might be helpful is knowing more about what converting content is. I guess I'm thinking more about what specific skills they have. XSL:FO? Java? that sort of thing. There are a lot of folks here on this list and often times I find it useful to know what skills people have in case we need people.

Great point.  I suppose the better description of them would be that they are the authors/technical writers, though the actual content is created in Word by an upstream team of SMEs. We have a pretty fixed process where they take the unstructured content (Word), put it into out content model, associate the files together via DITA maps, then run a preset transform.  They work primarily in Oxygen XML Author and Alfresco.    So they understand the DITA documentation stages but they wouldn't possess the skills to create or maintain a transform.

I hope that helps better to describe their skills.

Kristen James Eberlein

Hi, Westley.

The other job board that I am aware of which frequently has postings for people with DITA skills is Indeed.

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

danlittman

Hi all. I've been reading this board for a while but staying quiet because I'm sort of awed by you DITA experts setting up specializations, writing DTDs and schemas, etc. But I'm in the same boat as Westley W.'s team and have been wanting to ask about job-seeking ideas. I've worked in a DITA environment as a tech-writer, pulling material from unstructured Frame and creating DITA topics, setting up bookmaps, creating conrefs, applying conditionalizations, and so on. In short, I'm a tech-writer, an end-user, not a coder or sysadmin. I'm finding LinkedIn and Indeed overrun by recruiters who don't know what DITA is or why it matters to their clients. Is there a better way to get my name in front of potential employers? Are there organizations or DITA discussion boards similar to this but with more of an employer/job-seeker focus? Much obliged for any thoughts on this.
            Thanks.    --Dan Littman

Kristen James Eberlein

Hi, Dan.

Welcome to the list! It's meant for a broad audience: technical writers and end users of DITA, diehard DITA geeks who write specializations in their sleep, the DITA curious, and more.

I am not aware of other DITA lists with an employer/job-seeker focus, alas.

What you can do is set up alerts on both LinkedIn and Indeed which will send you e-mail when there are jobs posted with a DITA focus. There usually are a few new technical writer with DITA experience wanted ads most every day. Applying for these jobs will have a decent chance of getting your resume in front of a recruiter who knows "what DITA is and why it matters to their client."

I also can (and will) add a "jobhunting" hashtag to the dita-users site.

On 8/23/2020 5:08 PM, danlittman via groups.io wrote:
[...]

There is also the Write the Docs Slack community which has a job postings channel:

https://www.writethedocs.org/slack/

It is not DITA oriented but it does have a DITA channel and it's a very good place where to interact with other writers.

On 8/24/20 1:29 AM, Kristen James Eberlein wrote:

[...]

nkerzreho

Hi Dan,

I find that joining a community or society for writers helps (I'm aware of STC for USA, Tekom in Europe, ISTC in UK...). They usually have job boards.

If you can, you may want to participate in an event as an attendee or a presenter.
Presenting at industry events means you have a free ticket and is a great way to present your skills.

Good events will also provide you with a large number of topics that are related to technical communication, opportunities to discuss with others, including potential employers, and join a job discussion too.

The next online event that I'm participating in is called ConVEx, and is hosted by CIDM.
https://convex.infomanagementcenter.com/chat-presentations/

Hope some of these tips will help and good luck for your job hunt,
Nolwenn

danlittman

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I am on the board of my local STC chapter (San Francisco Bay Chapter), which reminds me: We're still having meetings and events, all on Zoom, and they're free and open to anyone interested. We have a weekly happy hour that has turned out to be more successful than any of us expected. At our general meeting earlier this month we heard from a labor lawyer about AB5 (the California "gig worker" law that Uber and Lyft are planning to spend $150 million to overturn in a ballot initiative). On September 9, if all goes as planned, we'll be hearing from an expert on writing for translation and localization. To participate in any of those events, find info on our web site, which is still flying under the old URL, https://www.stc-berkeley.org/. (Ignore the button for buying tickets--the virtual meetings are free.)    Best,  --Dan Littman