Topics

XSL-FO two-page layout

Nicholas Mucks

Hello,
We're trying to create a two-page layout where each printed page has two pages on it.  Although creating a two-column layout is simple enough, we're having difficult with the static content since it still shows one footer that spans the bottom of the page across the two columns.

Has anyone created a PDF that displays two pages side by side in landscape orientation?

Thanks for your time.
- Nick

Mica Semrick

Hey Nick,

Which PDF formatter are you using?

I think your approach might be off, as this generally isn't page level formatting. The feature is called "page imposition."

-m

On June 29, 2020 9:15:22 AM PDT, "Nicholas Mucks via groups.io" <urbanrobots@...> wrote:
Hello,
We're trying to create a two-page layout where each printed page has two pages on it.  Although creating a two-column layout is simple enough, we're having difficult with the static content since it still shows one footer that spans the bottom of the page across the two columns.

Has anyone created a PDF that displays two pages side by side in landscape orientation?

Thanks for your time.
- Nick

Nicholas Mucks

Hi Mica,
That's it: page imposition.
We're using Antenna House.

How might you approach this instead?

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 10:17:10 AM PDT, Mica Semrick <mica@...> wrote:

Hey Nick,

Which PDF formatter are you using?

I think your approach might be off, as this generally isn't page level formatting. The feature is called "page imposition."

-m

On June 29, 2020 9:15:22 AM PDT, "Nicholas Mucks via groups.io" <urbanrobots@...> wrote:
Hello,
We're trying to create a two-page layout where each printed page has two pages on it.  Although creating a two-column layout is simple enough, we're having difficult with the static content since it still shows one footer that spans the bottom of the page across the two columns.

Has anyone created a PDF that displays two pages side by side in landscape orientation?

Thanks for your time.
- Nick

Mica Semrick

It doesn't look like Antenna House supports imposition (correct me if I'm wrong!), so I'd consider another tool to do the imposition.

In prepress, imposition is usually done by the RIP or DFE, but those applications demand printing and are quite expensive.

Here is a good article about post processing post script (which antenna house can output) using pstops: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_make_impositions_with_pstops

Here is a script to do 2-up imposition with Ghostscript: https://stackoverflow.com/a/30546987

If you're looking for something radically different, a PDF producer called ConTeXt supports imposition and could (maybe?) replace Antenna House et al. It to s a different beast, not XML nor XSL FO, but it is quite flexible. https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Imposition

-m

On June 29, 2020 11:16:01 AM PDT, "Nicholas Mucks via groups.io" <urbanrobots@...> wrote:
[...]

David H

Hi Nick,

From within Acrobat, go to File -> Properties -> Initial View

The Page layout drop down has 4 options for Two-Up layouts.

It might be possible to use XSL:FO to define a page layout? AH might have an extension to do this?

Alternatively, post process with an Acrobat Batch Script or JavaScript to change the page layout.

HTH,
David

[...]

Toshihiko Makita

Hi Nick,

Although creating a two-column layout is simple enough, we're having difficult with the static content since it still shows one footer that spans the bottom of the page across the two columns.
Unfortunately AH Formatter does not support static contents per column.
What content do you want to put into static contents? If it is only footnote, specifying axf:footnote-position="column" may be useful.

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Toshihiko Makita
 Development Group. Antenna House, Inc. Ina Branch
 Web site:
 http://www.antenna.co.jp/
 http://www.antennahouse.com/
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

Jonathan Hanna

Hi Nick,

I publish my docs using a 5.5"x8.5" size (US-Statement) and then use Acrobat to print two pages on one printed page. Likewise, if you're using A4 paper, you can publish your document as an A5 size.

- Jonathan

tokukobayashi2002

Hi!

AH Formatter can treat each page of PDF as a vector image. Therefore, if you want to place two A5 pages on top of an A4 page, you can do the following. The first step is to generate a PDF with A5 page master. Next, using the page master of A4, place two pages of A5 PDF on it in order as images.

I remember making samples a long time ago. If you need help, please inform me.

Best regards,

Tokushige Kobayashi
Antenna House, Inc.

<urbanrobots=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,
We're trying to create a two-page layout where each printed page has
two pages on it. Although creating a two-column layout is simple
enough, we're having difficult with the static content since it
still shows one footer that spans the bottom of the page across the
two columns.
Has anyone created a PDF that displays two pages side by side in
landscape orientation?
Thanks for your time.
- Nick
Links:
------
[1] https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/message/45571
[2] https://groups.io/mt/75195062/2985344
[3] https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/post
[4] https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/editsub/2985344
[5] https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/leave/defanged

renderxxep

Below is an XSL that you could adopt to the Antennahouse area tree format. This does n-up processing of RenderX's intermediate format to 2-up and more.

From the comments:

        This style sheet performs transformations on the XEP intermediate format (XEPOUT)

        to format various layouts of documents.

        It is based on the <xep:transform> element which can apply an affine matix

        transformation to content. This is used to shrink pages to fit within the

        output page. It is also based on the <xep:translate> element to move pages

        in a grid layout in the new document.

        The stylesheet is used to take an input document and create various styles of output

        by shrinking and translating input pages from the document into a new output document

        with these pages.

        It does assume all the pages are uniform, all being the same dimensions of the first

        page. The scaling and configuration are based on this layout. It does work woth both

        landscape and portrait documents. And of course, it does not work with documents with

        intra-document links or bookmarks. It is meant to produce a print output document with

        the desired n-up layout.

        2-up: Two per page

            opposite final layout

            scaled to (width/height) for portrait

            scaled to (height/width) for landscape

            2 cols, 1 row for portrait

            1 col, 2 rows for landscape

        4-up: Four per page

            same final layout

            scaled to 1/2

        6-up: Six per page

            opposite final layout

            scaled to 1/2 (width/height) for portrait

            scaled to 1/2 (height/width) for landscape

            3 cols, 2 rows for portrait

            2 cols, 3 rows for landscape

        9-up: Nine per page

            same final layout