Topics

unknown fo:block in a shortdesc in a link #PDF #shortdesc

Zoë Lawson

I am working on an fop PDF from DITA-OT 3.3.1.
I am including child links in the content, and have the shortdesc displaying.

There's some additional block inside of the link__shortdesc block that is mucking with my formatting, and I can't figure out what it is.

Anyone have a guess?

Thanks,
Zoë

Kristen James Eberlein

Hi, Zoe.

There's definitely some issues with styling short descriptions as displayed in related links. I ran into this last summer, when I spent several hours (without success) in trying to style them for the OASIS PDFs. I'll see if I can dig out my notes.

Leigh White, in the 2nd edition of her book, comments on page 430 that the attribute set link __shortdesc (in links-attr.xsl, called from links.xsl) "does not work out of the box; specifications for the shortdesc attribute set in commons-attr.xsl override this attribute set."

On 1/30/2020 12:50 PM, Zoë Lawson wrote:
I am working on an fop PDF from DITA-OT 3.3.1.
I am including child links in the content, and have the shortdesc displaying.

There's some additional block inside of the link__shortdesc block that is mucking with my formatting, and I can't figure out what it is.

Anyone have a guess?

Thanks,
Zoë

Zoë Lawson

That helped.

I was able to get the formatting to display correctly by setting margin-left to inherit for topic__shortdesc.
Then when I style link__shortdesc, the margin is inherited.

Unfortunately this means there’s an fo warning because the topic shortdesc doesn’t have a margin to inherit...but at least it looks right.

I’m going to take the partial victory.

Thanks!
Zoë

Zoë Lawson