Topics

Repeating table titles for tables that break on PDF output - Oxygen DITA #CSS #PDF #tables

Matt Lorenzi

I am using using OxygenXML Author to publish a ditamap to PDF. I am generally happy with the PDF output. Most of the styling is done in CSS and I have not had to tweak any other files - yet.

In our old authoring tool (Structured FrameMaker), we had the table title repeat on each page if the table spanned more than one page. It would then also insert a snippet stating (Sheet 1 of 2), then (Sheet 2 of 2) on the next page, etc.

The table headers already repeat themselves, so that is take care of - but how do I get the table title to repeat?

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

then this:

Any help would be appreciated!

ekimber@contrext.com

You probably have to make the table title be a row in the table header. The only other solution I can think of is to put the table title into page's running head but that's probably not what you want or what FrameMaker did.

Note that there a couple of CSS pagination limitations here relative to XSL-FO that would require proprietary extensions to accommodate:

1. CSS pagination lacks FO's table marker mechanism. This means there are certain use cases where the repeated header needs to reflect page-specific information and there's no good way to do that in standard CSS. An example is a multi-page table where the header reflects per-page subtotals of columns of figures. The PDF2 transform uses table markers to do the running heads that are in the back-of-the-book index, where each column of the index reflects the first index entry on the page.
2. The CSS page edge region model makes it hard to have running heads and feet where the text spans the page, so it might be difficult or impossible to put what would be a line or lines of text that go across the entire page body in the running head and have it formatted correctly.

On 1/30/20, 11:19 AM, "Matt Lorenzi via Groups.Io" <dita-users@groups.io on behalf of mjlorenzi=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I am using using OxygenXML Author to publish a ditamap to PDF. I am generally happy with the PDF output. Most of the styling is done in CSS and I have not had to tweak any other files - yet.

In our old authoring tool (Structured FrameMaker), we had the table title repeat on each page if the table spanned more than one page. It would then also insert a snippet stating (Sheet 1 of 2), then (Sheet 2 of 2) on the next page, etc.

The table headers already repeat themselves, so that is take care of - but how do I get the table title to repeat?

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

then this:

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt Lorenzi

I suppose I can somewhat live with not having the table title repeat on the next page, but the problem might arise if the page were to become separated. There would be no way to identify the context of the table.

Chris Papademetrious

Hi Matt,

We are moving from FrameMaker to DITA and we want this too. There's a message thread about this on the Oxygen forum; maybe you can add your vote there?

 - Chris

Joe Williams

Eliot's right. There is a fix that involves putting the table title in a header row. Leigh White's book, DITA for Print is the go-to for PDF output from DITA.

Lief Erickson

There's no doubt that Leigh's book is the go-to resource for PDF output, if you're using XSL-FO. There isn't such a resource yet for CSS to PDF.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 6:08 PM Joe Williams <jdwinfodesign@...> wrote:
Eliot's right. There is a fix that involves putting the table title in a header row. Leigh White's book, DITA for Print is the go-to for PDF output from DITA.

Kristen James Eberlein

The one resource that I am aware of is Antenna House’s “Introduction to CSS for Paged Media.”

Hi Matt,

As Chris said, we do have plans to improve on this aspect in the Oxygen Chemistry PDF processor, probably add some extra CSS extensions to control this repetition of the table title on subsequent pages. I added your contact details on the internal issue.

<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

On 1/30/2020 7:19 PM, Matt Lorenzi via Groups.Io wrote:
I am using using OxygenXML Author to publish a ditamap to PDF. I am generally happy with the PDF output. Most of the styling is done in CSS and I have not had to tweak any other files - yet.
In our old authoring tool (Structured FrameMaker), we had the *table title* repeat on each page if the table spanned more than one page. It would then also insert a snippet stating *(Sheet 1 of 2)*, then *(Sheet 2 of 2)* on the next page, etc.
The table headers already repeat themselves, so that is take care of - but how do I get the table title to repeat?
Here is what I am trying to achieve:
then this:
Any help would be appreciated!

David Yin

We have done what Eliot explains. We put the title in the header when we want it to repeat.

Matt Lorenzi

Good news everybody! Just found this in my inbox this morning:

Starting with Oxygen 22.1, when using the DITA Map PDF - based on HTML5 & CSS transformation, all tables spanning on multiple pages will display their caption as following:

Table title (continued)

I hope you will enjoy this feature.
Regards,
Julien

Very happy with how quickly Syncro Soft implements user requests. This is good customer support!