Topics

Is anyone using DITA's SVG domain without using the technical content package (i.e. concept/task/reference/troubleshooting)? #SVG

nlpharrison

Hi,

As many of you are aware, the DITA Technical Committee (TC) is planning to more clearly separate the technical content part of the standard from the base standard in Release 2.0.  Currently the SVG domain is part of the technical content package, but we're wondering if it should be included with the base in 2.0.  So we're trying to determine whether it's being used in contexts where only the base structures are used.

If you fit the following description, we'd like to hear from you.

You're NOT using
- concept task, reference, generalTask, or troubleshooting topics,
- bookmap maps,
- any of the non-svg domains that come with the DITA technical content package, but not with base DITA (i.e., abbreviate, equation, mathml, glossref, markup, programming, software, taskreq, ui, or xml domains)

but you ARE using, or are planning to use, the svgDomain for your graphics.

It seems to us that SVG-based graphics could be used in any context, not just a technical content context, especially if you've created a specialization directly from the DITA base package.  If it is being used in a general context that way, then we'd be more likely to include it in the base DITA standard for 2.0.  But if not, we'd most likely leave it in the technical content package.

So please respond with your thoughts on this issue.  As mentioned above, we're especially interested in hearing from anyone who is already using it that way,  but will welcome any user's thoughts.

Thanks,
Nancy Harrison
DITA TC secretary

Julio J Vazquez

Nancy,

IMHO, the SVG domain should be in the bar because it can be used for L&C or wherever good quality, easily scalable images are required.

Julio J. Vazquez

Jonathan Hanna

My company is still within the DITA implementation phase and have not finalized our model yet. However, I can tell you that we will be using the Learning and Training topics for our curricular materials and these materials will contain SVG images. Related, our content will also contain MathML elements. It seems odd to me that you would not include SVG and MathML as part of the base standard since the use of SVG images and equations are not exclusive to technical content.

Jonathan Hanna
PASCO scientific

Kristen James Eberlein

For Julio and Jonathan:

The intention for the base package/edition is to include only the most fundamental pieces of the DITA architecture:

  • Topic
  • Map
  • Subject scheme
  • The most basic domains: DITAVAL, hazard statement, highlighting, and utilities

If you are using Learning and Training, then you also use all the technical content pieces, including SVG reference and MathML domains.

Hi Nancy,

We don't fit precisely in your category. We aren't using concept, task, reference, but we are using bookmap.

We don't use the svgDomain, but we do use SVG images as @href targets of images.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the svgDomain is used for...

 - Chris

Jonathan Hanna

Hi Kris,

As mentioned previously, I am new to DITA, so please forgive the ignorance behind my questions and comments.

Again, it seems odd that the SVG and MathML domains would not be included as part of the base package. Both SVG and MathML are commonly used with HTML. MS-Word comes with the ability to insert equations and markup images in documents by default and not as an add-on package. I would think that users would expect this to be part of the base DITA package as well. What is the rationale for not including these domains in the base package?

I also find it odd that the hazard statement domain would be included with the base package. The hazard statement domain seems like a natural fit for the technical content package, especially since they are specializations of notes. What is the rationale for including the hazard statement domain in the base package?

I know that these are discussions for technical committee meetings and I am not trying to start a debate. I am just a curious newbie :-).

Thanks,
Jonathan Hanna

Briggs, John

Both SVG and MathML should have their own domains which should be add-ons. The rest of the domains should not be cluttered with these domains.

We do use SVG and MathML by reference, but in the 10 years or so that we have been using DITA, not a single writer has expressed the desire to author either SVG or MathML in DITA, especially when there are tools out there that make such authoring so much easier.

john briggs
Technical Documentation

Kristen James Eberlein

Hi, Jonathan.

We talked about your e-mail on today's DITA Technical Committee call. I am going to respond to one part of your question, and another TC member will address another.

So, why is the hazard statement domain included in the base package?

The base package was designed to include the most fundamental pieces of the DITA architecture:

  • Topic
  • Map
  • Subject scheme
  • The most basic domains: DITAVAL, hazard statement, highlighting, and utilities

Identified users for the package included marketing and medical information. We thought that the hazard statement domain would be necessary for medical information or marketing information about drugs or medical devices.

For more information about the three packages of DITA 1.3, see http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita-1.3-why-three-editions/v1.0/dita-1.3-why-three-editions-v1.0.html