Topics

FrameMaker use with DITA CCMS #translation #FrameMaker #CCMS

Frank Dissinger

"Frank's requirements are to use FrameMaker for both authoring and publishing PDFs."
To be more precise:
I have set up a particular folder structure and some Ant scripts to automatically publish to various outputs (products, variants for OEM partners, languages) from the command line using DITA-OT. And I would like to continue using this method. Therefore my content cannot reside in a database. Yes, I am mainly using FrameMaker as an editor (and for creating PDFs), sometimes also just Notepad++, and also oXygen for some tasks (perhaps I'll use oXygen more in the future...).

What I now need is managing translations. I understand that oXygen's Translation Package Builder allows me to detect which source files have changed compared to a baseline, so that I can update the translation. But I am not sure if that tool will help me if I have translations to more than one language...

Frank

Am 16.11.2019 um 16:41 schrieb Kristen James Eberlein:

Hi, Stefan.

Thanks for pointing me to the Web page; I did not know that XDocs, DITAtoo, and Vasont supported FrameMaker; I was more aware of the fact that neither IXIASOFT or the SDL CCMS product has support for using FrameMaker for authoring.

According to https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/cms-integration.html:

DITA CCMS
Versions of FrameMaker supported
XDocs
2019 release
DITAToo
2019 release, 12, 11
Vasont 2017 release, 2015 release, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7.2

(I am leaving out products that are NOT DITA CCMS.)

Frank's requirements are to use FrameMaker for both authoring and publishing PDFs. Do the above products support that? Is a Server license for FrameMaker required?

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 02:27:52 -0800
From: Stefan Gentz via Groups.Io <gentz@...>
To: dita-users@groups.io

Hi Kris,

"… rules out many of the CCMS solutions."
Out-of-the-box FrameMaker comes with built-in connectors for Adobe Experience Manager, DitaExchange, Documentum, SharePoint, and SharePoint Online.
But there are many more CMS that have an integration with FrameMaker. The (probably not even complete) list can be found here:
https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/cms-integration.html

Cheers,
Stefan

--

Frank Dissinger

Documentation Manager

CGS Publishing Technologies International GmbH

Email frank.dissinger@... | Web www.cgs-oris.com

Address Kettelerstr. 24 | D-63512 Hainburg | Germany

Phone +49 6182 9626-27 | Fax +49 6182 9626-99

Commercial register Offenbach, HRB no. 21495

Managing directors Bernd Rückert, Andreas Kämmerer, Christoph Thommessen

jang

Depending on your deal with the translation provider - and whether you are always working with the same one for the same language - their translation memory should cover for any already translated materials. You may want to check on this with the DITA materials before inventing a workflow on your end that might not give a benefit over something that already exists.

[...]

teamwis

Frank
To rule out Database, it is gonna be hard for you effectively 'manage'
your translation process, unfortunately. with just a matter of XQuery
based work, you shall experience a performance boost, removing your
pains when it comes to where changes go to which specific languages in
DITA documents. Out of curiosity, why you remove a possibility to get
a Database introduced to your practice? In my humbling opinion, after
all, modern IT is somehow inevitably enabled by the database. If cost
is your primary concern, please rest assured that we could help you
out with minimum investments. All you need to decide is to give the DB
tech a shot, specifically the existDB, for example, to help with your
pains. Otherwise, I cannot see you have anything better than a solid
database.

Ray

On 11/18/19, jang <jang@...> wrote:
[...]

www.eberleinconsulting.com <http://www.eberleinconsulting.com/>