Topics

Adjusting the Oxygen Responsive Webhelp plugin - I need help #Oxygen

stinakab

Hi all,

I'm still a newbie to XSL and XPath and understanding the DITA OT is hard when you're a beginner, but I'm not giving up on this, even if it'll take me years. ;-)

I would like to know if somebody in this group could help me:

We are using the com.oxygenxml.webhelp plugin (responsive webhelp) provided with the oXygen XML DITA OT. Unfortunately, since there seems to be not much literature around that helps users making adjustments to HTML or webhelp outputs from DITA, I'm struggling with making changes. It's so much easier, if you could call it easy, when it comes to PDF outputs. There's enough literature, and a lot of forum entries focus on this.

At the moment, I'm trying to get meta information (prodname, revised (golive), xml:lang, vrm (version, released, modification)) from the main ditamap into the webhelp output. I've tried it the way it was described in this forum topic https://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/topic10098.html.

Unfortunately, this topic is a bit outdated as the responsive webhelp was introduced with oXygen version 18.0, so it cannot work, and what makes matters worse, I don't really understand what I'm doing.

Could anybody in this group help me with this, please?

Thanks,

Christina

Miklos

Hi Cristina,

I'm also not an XSL expert and find it easier to go with CSS and transformation scenario parameters when it comes to customising the webhelp output.

You can specify html header and footer files for any given transformation (e.g. in a parameter called webhelp.head.script).

It might be easier to write an html header/footer with the metadata you want than trying to collect it from the ditamap itself. Since you will likely have a separate transformation scenario per product, you can have a collection of header/footer files associated with each scenario.

In the meantime, let's hope we shortly get to lay our greedy hands on a book called DITA for Webhelp :)

Kind regards,
Miklos

Radu Coravu

Hi Christina,

As the com.oxygenxml.webhelp plugin is developed by Syncrosoft (the company behind Oxygen XML Editor) we take responsibility for helping with related customization questions. So most users customizing the webhelp email us or write on the Oxygen XML forum (as you did).

Like with most HTML-based outputs, Oxygen WebHelp customizations usually imply having your custom CSS stylesheet and adding your own header and footer information to each page.
And all these are covered in the Oxygen User's Manual:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/19.0/ug-editor/topics/wh-responsive-customization-tips.html

Indeed being a proprietary output format there is no third party documentation available.
And as the output is obtained using XSLT the customization possibilities are infinite, we just try to provide parameters for the most common ones.

Your case is more complex, you want to use information which exists only in the DITA Map and use it for the HTML file produced for each topic.
With any HTML-based output (including our WebHelp output) each topic is processed separately to an HTML document.
There is an Oxygen WebHelp-specific XSLT extension point called "com.oxygenxml.webhelp.xsl.dita2webhelp":

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/19.0/ug-editor/topics/whr-override-xslt-dita-xslt-import.html

which allows you to override the XSLT templates which generate from each DITA topic an HTML equivalent.
The main XSLT stylesheet used by the Oxygen WebHelp publishing is this one:

OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT2.x\plugins\com.oxygenxml.webhelp\xsl\dita\dita2webhelp.xsl
and it has an XSLT template which produces the footer for each HTML page:

<xsl:template match="/|node()|@*" mode="gen-user-footer">
Possibly if you manage to override it in your own XSLT stylesheet you can use the XSLT document() function to load the main DITA Map and read the necessary information from it, then use it to set a custom footer to each HTML topic.

http://www.oxygenxml.com

On 8/16/2017 11:11 AM, christina.kaboth@... [dita-users] wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Radu, for pointing me towards a possible solution. I'll check that out.

I hope you didn't misinterpret my approach with searching for help on the DITA User list. I would like to learn more about how to implement things using XSL and XPath in combination with the DITA OT, and I cannot expect from Syncrosoft to teach me in detail or to help me understand the DITA OT structure.
I know that plugin is proprietary, but nevertheless, I should be able to implement small changes for our framework. Don't want to remain a beginner forever. ;-)

Christina

stinakab

Thanks, Miklos. I'll check if that could work for us.

Yes, a DITA for Webhelp book would be awesome! :-)

Christina

Radu Coravu

Hi Christina,

No problem. It's always a matter of how much time is spent trying to find a solution for a certain customization need. What you want makes sense and we have an internal issue opened for it so possibly in a future WebHelp plugin version you will just need to access a certain set of pre-computed parameters from your XSLT customization in order to gain access to values stored in the DITA Map.

http://www.oxygenxml.com

On 8/16/2017 3:48 PM, christina.kaboth@... [dita-users] wrote:

Thank you, Radu, for pointing me towards a possible solution. I'll check
that out.

I hope you didn't misinterpret my approach with searching for help on
the DITA User list. I would like to learn more about how to implement
things using XSL and XPath in combination with the DITA OT, and I cannot
expect from Syncrosoft to teach me in detail or to help me understand
the DITA OT structure.
I know that plugin is proprietary, but nevertheless, I should be able to
implement small changes for our framework. Don't want to remain a
beginner forever. ;-)

Christina

Matt Lorenzi

Rather than start a new thread I will see if I can add my simple question here. I would like to disable the default footer text on my Webhelp Responsive transformation.  I know I can point to a new HTML file to override the Generated by <oXygen/> XML WebHelp blurb that shows by default.

Is this a parameter that has a true/false argument that can be toggled? I'd be happy just deleting the content of the default blurb for now.

Pieterjan Vandenweghe

Hi Matt,

I usely do the following when I don't want to see the default footer in the webhelp.
  1. I open my Webhelp transformation scenario in OxygenXML.
  2. In the Parameters I search for the parameter webhelp.fragment.footer.
  3. I double click on the parameter and simply add a space in the Value: field.
You will not have the default footer anymore when you run the transformation scenario again.

Kind regards,
Pieterjan

Matt Lorenzi

Hi Pieterjan,