Re: Displaying links between DITA topics as a diagram

ekimber@contrext.com

I lied—my 8K node network did display, it just took the browser several minutes to open it!

From: <main@dita-users.groups.io> on behalf of "ekimber@..." <ekimber@...>
Date: Friday, September 3, 2021 at 5:41 PM
To: <main@dita-users.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [dita-users] Displaying links between DITA topics as a diagram

Radu,

Like Chris, we’re struggling with large numbers of links and moving to cross-deliverable links.

I tried running it on one of our root maps, which ultimately involves about 8000 topics (even though the input map only refers to about 115 topics!).

Unfortunately, it said that the improved layout couldn’t position the network with the improved layout engine and it’s a holiday weekend so I’ll come back to it

But like Chris I was about to try to make something like this myself, so you’ve saved me much time (yet again).

From: <main@dita-users.groups.io> on behalf of Radu Coravu <radu_coravu@...>
Date: Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 11:58 PM
To: <main@dita-users.groups.io>

Hi Chris,

With pleasure, indeed creating the small JSON data part of the file is quite easy, VisJs has lots of settings which can be switched as well but I have not played much with them.

On 9/2/21 22:23, Chris Papademetrious wrote:

Hi Radu,

This visualization is pretty cool! I appreciate the example graph so we could easily see what is produced without running all the steps.

Our books have cross-deliverable links using peer maps (<mapref scope="peer">) with keyscopes. I have considered writing a script to extract a similar graph for book-to-book references, so we can see how our books - and thus our products - tend to reference each other. Your example gives me a great example of how the visualization part could work. I was originally going to create a static drawing using GraphViz, but I like this interactive VisJS approach better.

Thank you for sharing this!