Re: too big bother

Chris Brand

Hi Aaron

I have similar (but not that complex) windows to describe, plus the use cases that come along. When I have set up my documentation concept in the beginning, I also thought about numbered callouts and a reference table. But then I decided against it, as I have to redo the screenshots (tons...) every half year or so and messing with the callouts every time I didn't like.

After some thoughts I came up with this:

  • I "translated" the whole UI into keys. So, each button, tab, title, table, checkbox, etc. got a key with its text.
  • In my "User Guide", I placed the window screenshots in separate "Functional Description" chapters.
  • Below the screenshots I listed and described all the UI elements a user can interact with in tabular form.
  • In the "Use" chapter, I then described the different use cases as tasks and placed a link back to the "Functional Description" chapter.

Separating how something works from procedures is what you should aim for. In a functional description you can describe everything to the last detail, where as in a task, only focus on the important bits.

See the two attached screenshots. Hope it helps.

Greez,
Chris.

Am 12.03.21 um 18:34 schrieb Aaron Mehl via groups.io:

Thanks,
The reason I didn't go for numbered call outs with a table is because throughout the rest of the document my graphics have call outs (arrows and text boxes) and doing this for one or two windows would be inconsistent. But you are right I may have no other choice. I just had a thought, what if I made every section of the window a different task. I could then put a graphic with call outs for only that task. Hmn...
Aaron

On Friday, March 12, 2021, 10:41:01 AM EST, Melissa Kershes <sarala557@...> wrote:

Hi Aaron.

The overall goal in this window (I suppose) is to “Edit a scheduled transaction” There are a few ways you can simplify this.

  1. Only document one way of using a control. Most windows users already know that there are multiple ways to do things based on standard controls. Use the most common path to enter the data.
  2. If you want to group things do it by section. So first describe the schedule name box etc. then move onto the Payment Information box.
  3. If you want to do a call out for controls with no label, number the image and then do the call outs in a table below. This will clean the interface of the image and allow for easier translation if that happens. DO NOT use call outs for controls that have labels. The users can read the label.

All of this together should significantly shorten your topic.

Melissa