Re: Job Search: Need advice on finding DITA jobs. #jobhunting

Kristen James Eberlein

Hi, Dan.

Welcome to the list! It's meant for a broad audience: technical writers and end users of DITA, diehard DITA geeks who write specializations in their sleep, the DITA curious, and more.

I am not aware of other DITA lists with an employer/job-seeker focus, alas.

What you can do is set up alerts on both LinkedIn and Indeed which will send you e-mail when there are jobs posted with a DITA focus. There usually are a few new technical writer with DITA experience wanted ads most every day. Applying for these jobs will have a decent chance of getting your resume in front of a recruiter who knows "what DITA is and why it matters to their client."

I also can (and will) add a "jobhunting" hashtag to the dita-users site.

OASIS Distinguished Contributor

On 8/23/2020 5:08 PM, danlittman via groups.io wrote:
Hi all. I've been reading this board for a while but staying quiet because I'm sort of awed by you DITA experts setting up specializations, writing DTDs and schemas, etc. But I'm in the same boat as Westley W.'s team and have been wanting to ask about job-seeking ideas. I've worked in a DITA environment as a tech-writer, pulling material from unstructured Frame and creating DITA topics, setting up bookmaps, creating conrefs, applying conditionalizations, and so on. In short, I'm a tech-writer, an end-user, not a coder or sysadmin. I'm finding LinkedIn and Indeed overrun by recruiters who don't know what DITA is or why it matters to their clients. Is there a better way to get my name in front of potential employers? Are there organizations or DITA discussion boards similar to this but with more of an employer/job-seeker focus? Much obliged for any thoughts on this.
            Thanks.    --Dan Littman