Re: [EXT]: [dita-users] Visualizing reltables

jang

I take Wayne’s side remark - about me taking things way beyond what most people feel comfortable with - as a compliment. And I need to add that I am not against using maps (or even relationship tables) - I just want to find a way in which these maps can be auto-generated on-the-fly based on decent topic metadata matched to the user’s situation, preferences and search history.

Relationships between topics are NOT part of the topic metadata, but they should not exist outside of the topics either - they should be derived from the collection of topic metadata (which possibly and even preferably includes the outcome of text analysis tools and other techniques such as click traces, etc.). I would want to create something that works like Google, but better (and not infected with commercial interests). And I truly believe that there are no hand-crafted maps or relationship tables anywhere to be found in that company.

+2 cents - that makes 4 already !!

Jang

Smart Information Design
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Cell: +31 646 854 996

On 31 Jul 2020, 14:41 +0200, Wayne Brissette <wbrisett@...>, wrote:

Melanie Polutta wrote on 2020-07-30 19:35:
Well, I didn't intend to start a philosophical discussion.
I don't think you did. What you discovered though is DITA is different
to everybody. That is the beauty behind it. For some people and
companies, it's an alternative authoring system. For others, it's a way
to provide information that their customers need, using things other
than traditional publication systems. And therein lies the 'magic' of
XML and DITA. We're doing a lot more automation so we aren't using DITA
as the source of truth anymore. Instead we use it as the common platform
that allows us to publish, validate, and ensure we provide exactly what
is expected to our customers. Since we're not using DITA strictly as an
authoring platform, the rules about what is considered 'best practice'
is slightly different to us. Jang takes this way beyond where we
currently feel comfortable, but he's not wrong. Nor are those who are
using DITA as an authoring platform to simply replace traditional tools
like Word and FrameMaker in the Tech Comm space. We all have varied
needs and those needs change as the industry moves forward and as the
types of information we deliver changes.

-Wayne