Re: [EXT]: [dita-users] Visualizing reltables

Wayne Brissette

Melanie Polutta wrote on 2020-07-30 19:35:
Well, I didn't intend to start a philosophical discussion.
I don't think you did. What you discovered though is DITA is different to everybody. That is the beauty behind it. For some people and companies, it's an alternative authoring system. For others, it's a way to provide information that their customers need, using things other than traditional publication systems. And therein lies the 'magic' of XML and DITA. We're doing a lot more automation so we aren't using DITA as the source of truth anymore. Instead we use it as the common platform that allows us to publish, validate, and ensure we provide exactly what is expected to our customers. Since we're not using DITA strictly as an authoring platform, the rules about what is considered 'best practice' is slightly different to us. Jang takes this way beyond where we currently feel comfortable, but he's not wrong. Nor are those who are using DITA as an authoring platform to simply replace traditional tools like Word and FrameMaker in the Tech Comm space. We all have varied needs and those needs change as the industry moves forward and as the types of information we deliver changes.

-Wayne