Re: WebHelp test server for DITA project #Oxygen #HTML5

Ben McGinnes

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 07:31:17AM +0200, Radu Coravu wrote:
Hi Matt,

One solution is to have an internal server with an Apache HTTP
Server or ‪Firefly‬ installed on it to serve your static HTML pages.
Always a good option for local only stuff, like in this case.

Netlify can also be used to automate the publishing of DITA content
to outputs like WebHelp or PDF and it can connect to a GitHub
repository with DITA content, detect changes in it and launch a
publishing script to automatically update the published outputs,
like I did for the Oxygen XML Blog:

https://oxygenxmlblog.netlify.com/topics/welcome.html
That's really quite a nifty solution for the type of organisations or
projects which would need something a bit flashier for the middle
management audience.

Still, it's worth mentioning that there's even easier and simpler
options for deploying locally written DITA content to a cheap and
reliable hosting service. One which (mostly) requires very little
original configuration (usually depending on whether or not to use
your own domain or subdomain with a CNAME or not).

The one I've used in the past for various things, including some DITA
generated HTML content, is AWS S3 servers. AWS provide API access to
S3 and there are plenty of SDKs for accessing it, which the CLI tools
(written in Python) use too.

So automating uploading an entire directory structure should be quite
straight forward. I'm always on POSIX systems, so I don't see any
need to use much more than a few quick shell commands to upload files
(possibly recursively) that are publicly readable and it's done.

Still, I suppose it wouldn't take too much effort to write something
platform independent that would just walk through the entire directory
structure and then do the same. I'd choose the same weapon Amazon did
for botocore, Python (and thus benefit from their module); but I'm
sure you could do it in Java and turn it into a plugin, or whatever.

Note: don't do that on my account, I'm *really* unlikely to ever use
it over one of my own scripts for things specific to my subdomains.

For those people with some little VPS already out in the world and
since it's already there (and less likely to run into traffic volume
issues, if it's an option at all); ssh and rsync are your friends, or
alternatively scp.

Regards,
Ben