Re: Using Lightweight DITA's HTML5 format? #LwDITA #HTML5

Mark Giffin

The XML format of Lightweight DITA (XDITA) is pretty much what Chris describes, it is only topic and map with only a few elements compared to full DITA:

https://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/LwDITA/v1.0/cn02/LwDITA-v1.0-cn02.html#what-is-xdita

Mica, you could also mix XDITA and MDITA (markdown) and HDITA in the same map, if some topics required more control than others. This works with the DITA OT right now (except for HDITA, which I'm not sure about).

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://markgiffin.com/

On 2/7/2020 2:24 AM, despopoulos_chriss via Groups.Io wrote:
There's no reason that you can't just use a subset of DITA that almost completely resembles HTML.  Just use topic, and pretty much all that needs to be different it topic and title.  Just ignore all the other stuff.  With very little effort you can have people producing this minimal DITA in text editors.

That's pretty much what we do...  We use conref and maybe a few other things, but we're effectively using a self-imposed LW DITA.  And then we just transform to HTML in the browser.

Another approach could be to use XHTML, and then for translation set up a transform to DITA...  And back to XHTML again.  You just have to be a bit rigorous about the acceptable structure in your XHTML...  No nesting heading levels too deeply in a single file.

Just a couple of thoughts...