Re: Using Lightweight DITA's HTML5 format? #LwDITA #HTML5

Mica Semrick

Thank you for the replies Kris & Mark. The original request was for the docs to go into markdown, and I'm still considering MDITA for that, however I have reservations that markdown is expressive enough to capture the necessary information for this documentation set. I also worry about the translation pipeline, which for the current docbook workflow uses GNU get text and PO files. I don't want to hang all the translators out to dry, and I haven't seen great tooling around markdown and translation.

I think vanilla dita is too complicated here, as most seem to be authoring in a text editor. Since it is a Free Software project, many will balk at using a proprietary editor.

I'll continue to think about it; meanwhile I'm open to any suggestions.

-m

On February 6, 2020 3:14:36 PM PST, Mark Giffin <mark@...> wrote:
Hi Mica,

Your observation is correct. There are not a lot of details and examples
available about the HTML5 format of Lightweight DITA (HDITA), outside of
the committee note on it. I'm on the LWDITA subcommittee and there is no
DTD or other schema for HDITA. I think that was largely because it was
hard to figure out what to use for it. There is no DTD for HTML5 itself,
because they have officially cut ties with SGML (which is where DTDs
came from).

Oxygen has good support for MDITA and XDITA (some other tools do also),
but not much (none?) for HDITA. In my personal experience, most of the
interest is in Markdown/MDITA.

HDITA is basically standard HTML5. It does not violate the HTML5 specs.
There is a validator for HTML5:

https://about.validator.nu/
https://github.com/validator/validator/wiki/Service-%C2%BB-HTTP-interface

I think that Oxygen now implements this validator but I have not tested
it yet. But that doesn't help you validate HDITA.

By the way, there is also no official validation mechanism for the
Markdown format of Lightweight DITA (MDITA). Although the Oxygen
Markdown editor may help with this, I'm not certain. And there's no
official way to validate ordinary non-LWDITA Markdown either (and there
are many flavors of it). I believe most people use their static site
generator to "validate" their markdown content. But some people are
trying on this.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://markgiffin.com/

On 2/6/2020 9:37 AM, Mica Semrick wrote:
I've been looking at migrating the docs for one of my favorite photo
editing applications from docbook to something else. I had thought
that HDITA would be a great fit for this content, but I can't seem to
find much on the format, other than the examples in the spec. I can't
create an HDITA topic in Oxygen, I can't find a DTD. Forgive my
ignorance, but can someone shed some light on this?

Best,
Mica

View/Reply Online (#45175): https://dita-users.groups.io/g/main/message/45175
Mute #lwdita: https://groups.io/mk?hashtag=lwdita&subid=5779837