Re: Using Lightweight DITA's HTML5 format? #LwDITA #HTML5

Mark Giffin

Hi Mica,

Your observation is correct. There are not a lot of details and examples available about the HTML5 format of Lightweight DITA (HDITA), outside of the committee note on it. I'm on the LWDITA subcommittee and there is no DTD or other schema for HDITA. I think that was largely because it was hard to figure out what to use for it. There is no DTD for HTML5 itself, because they have officially cut ties with SGML (which is where DTDs came from).

Oxygen has good support for MDITA and XDITA (some other tools do also), but not much (none?) for HDITA. In my personal experience, most of the interest is in Markdown/MDITA.

HDITA is basically standard HTML5. It does not violate the HTML5 specs. There is a validator for HTML5:

https://about.validator.nu/
https://github.com/validator/validator/wiki/Service-%C2%BB-HTTP-interface

I think that Oxygen now implements this validator but I have not tested it yet. But that doesn't help you validate HDITA.

By the way, there is also no official validation mechanism for the Markdown format of Lightweight DITA (MDITA). Although the Oxygen Markdown editor may help with this, I'm not certain. And there's no official way to validate ordinary non-LWDITA Markdown either (and there are many flavors of it). I believe most people use their static site generator to "validate" their markdown content. But some people are trying on this.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://markgiffin.com/

On 2/6/2020 9:37 AM, Mica Semrick wrote:
I've been looking at migrating the docs for one of my favorite photo editing applications from docbook to something else. I had thought that HDITA would be a great fit for this content, but I can't seem to find much on the format, other than the examples in the spec. I can't create an HDITA topic in Oxygen, I can't find a DTD. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone shed some light on this?

Best,
Mica