Re: Adding "next topic", "previous topic" throughout an entire map? #HTML #linking

Radu Coravu

Hi Chris,

This might not be a bug, the DITA 1.3 specs for collection-type seems to always use the notion of "children":

https://www.oxygenxml.com/dita/1.3/specs/archSpec/base/ditamap-attributes.html

so the attribute seems to only add links between siblings and not between a topic and the sibling of its parent element.

<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

On 1/14/2020 4:25 PM, Chris Papademetrious wrote:
Indeed, that was embarrassingly easy!
However, there might be a bug. When I make the entire map a collection sequence:
<map collection-type="sequence">
  <title>This Book</title>
  <topicref href="t1/topic0.dita">
    <topicref href="t1/topic1.dita"/>
    <topicref href="t1/topic2.dita"/>  <!-- this one has no Next Topic link -->
  </topicref>
  <topicref href="t2/topic0.dita">
    <topicref href="t2/topic1.dita"/>
    <topicref href="t2/topic2.dita"/>
  </topicref>
  <topicref href="t3/topic0.dita">
    <topicref href="t3/topic1.dita"/>
    <topicref href="t3/topic2.dita"/>
  </topicref>
</map>
then the highlighted topic has no "Next Topic" link to the next top-level topic reference. Since all of these top-level topic references fall under the same collection sequence, navigation should continue throughout the sequence.
Is there some special case for top-level topic elements to be excluded from collection-sequence processing? If not, I'll file a DITA-OT issue for this.
Thank you!