This discussion seems to have been prompted by a desire to create a new repository for DITA documentation oriented to actual use of DITA.

My point is that the documentation on the core organizations should be improved before we start a new wiki out of frustration.

Ron

On 2020-01-12 8:14 p.m., Tom Magliery wrote:

Hi Ron,

The first link you mentioned cannot be "fixed" per se. At least, that page can never be changed. It is a specification, not "documentation".

FWIW, there is a newer version of the DITA specification--version 1.3. Many changes and improvements were made to the specification from version 1.2 to 1.3. You can find version 1.3 here:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/dita-v1.3-part0-overview.html

If you have suggestions for new DITA features or about the specification in general, they should be addressed to the DITA Technical Committee. In particular if they pertain directly to the specification, you should send comments to the "dita-comment" mailing list:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita#feedback

But if you are a DITA user (as opposed to someone developing applications that support DITA in some way) you may benefit more from reading documentation about your own DITA tools than from reading the DITA specification itself.

mag

--
Tom Magliery

On 2020-01-12 16:58, Ron Wheeler wrote:

Is there any way to fix  http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/DITA1.2-spec.html ?

The descriptions are very cryptic and often seem almost self-referential.
The examples are often edge cases and only show one possible use of a language feature that can appear in many other contexts and have many attributes applied.

It appears to be no longer maintained. Most pages have not been touched in many years.

At the very least the examples should have been augmented to cover more of the features described in the specification.

https://www.dita-ot.org/3.4/topics/troubleshooting-overview.html is also another place where some work could be done.
I believe some error codes are missing in https://www.dita-ot.org/3.4/topics/error-messages.html

https://www.dita-ot.org/3.4/topics/dita-and-dita-ot-resources.html is not up to date. This group is not mentioned for starters.

I am not sure that adding another wiki is the best answer. Fixing and expanding some of the existing resources might be more productive.

It is very odd that a community of technical writers has such poor and disorganized documentation.