Re: How can we make use of the 'wiki' feature of groups.io? #admin

Kristen James Eberlein

I can bring this up with the other moderators. A key issue is whether we have bandwidth to manage a Wiki.

Another option is to add "Tips and techniques" info to the dita.xml.org site. That site is owned and maintained by the OASIS DITA Adoption Committee.

On 1/6/2020 7:17 AM, Chris Papademetrious wrote:
Good discussion!

I was first tasked with learning DITA about 1.5 years ago. Indeed, by far the biggest obstacles were (1) locating information, and (2) finding non-outdated information. Many well-intentioned (but busy!) people have collected helpful information that has since aged - sometimes well, sometimes not.

There are plenty of examples of such fossilized DITA-related content around. But this group is active, and I believe it is a good opportunity to try a community-driven approach. As problems are solved and best practices are uncovered, content can be updated in-place to maintain relevance. This approach (incrementally updating reference content to reflect real-time Q&A) is very effective.

But what about questionable, incorrect, or malicious edits? According to this discussion about the groups.io wiki feature, "if there's a major problem, a moderator can delete the new page so it reverts to the older one." This is at least a basic level of moderation that we can use.

The hashtag approach is interesting, but posts can't be retroactively updated for relevance, the poster must remember to set the hashtag, and such flgged nuggets of information would not be available in a structured, readily-consumable form.