Re: DITA and Git: Minimizing merge conflicts #version-control #change-management

Kristen James Eberlein

You've nicely summed up the fundamental problem: "What you're trying to do is apply a tool that counts on technical discipline to a workflow that counts on social lack of discipline."

More background: The product managers are not software engineers; they are marketing guys.

Yes, this is not just a technical problem in search of a solution. Change management is definitely required, and I certainly can clarify for the tech doc manager that "the problem" is not DITA or Git; a big component of "the problem" is the product managers' workflow.

As a consultant, I cannot be obnoxious. I think most people would describe me as outspoken and persistent.

On 12/19/2019 8:40 AM, despopoulos_chriss via Groups.Io wrote:
On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 05:03 AM, Kristen James Eberlein wrote:
The technical writer works hard on improving the content. But approval for deploying the content falls to product management. When they do review the content, they want to tweak words, and so postpone deploying the content for a cycle. Next cycle, they want to cherry pick what is deployed: "I'm good with this; it can go. No, this needs more work; it should wait for another release."
Yikes...  What a PM nightmare.  Why is PM always so difficult to work with?  What you're trying to do is apply a tool that counts on technical discipline to a workflow that counts on social lack of discipline.  The first thing I would do as a manager is lay out the manual process that is required to support this lack of discipline, and assign a cost to it.  Nothing is free.  If they want to insist on their work flow, then they need to assume the cost in both budget and schedule.  You could expect a combination of them increasing their discipline, and build managers coming up with ways to more easily accommodate their requirements.  I know that doesn't specifically answer your question, but I can't help myself.