Re: Yahoo! groups shutting down later this year

Mica Semrick

Discourse is an open source forum software that has both a web interface and an email interface.

They offer hosted solutions, or one can self host it.

They offer a yahoo groups migration script and there is also a company that'll help: https://meta.discourse.org/t/yahoo-groups-to-discourse-migration/131587

On October 21, 2019 8:27:28 PM PDT, "Kristen James Eberlein kris@... [dita-users]" wrote:

I don't know the details, but Groups.io can migrate the active membership accounts and message history. Well worth paying them $110 USD.

A few other companies offer similar migration services, but their plans are not as well suited to our needs (and budget) as Groups.io.

I'm pleased with what I've seen of Groups.io. OASIS uses them for their Open Projects, and they have been very happy.

On 10/21/2019 9:04 PM, Scott Prentice sp14@... [dita-users] wrote:

Hi Kris...

Have you found a way to download/extract the messages from a Yahoo group? That's looking like it could be tricky. I'm seeing that the poster for a post must give permission .. which doesn't seem reasonable. Has Groups.io a way around that?

This is one possible option I'm seeing ..

    http://yahoogroupedia.pbworks.com/w/page/93006447/Chrome%20Application%20To%20Download%20Messages

Thanks,
...scott

On 10/19/19 6:08 AM, Kristen James Eberlein kris@... [dita-users] wrote:

Sure, David; here are the ones that I've heard so far:

  • Google groups
  • FreeLists
  • OnlineGroups.net
  • Gaggle Mail

I'm impressed by Groups.io. I think it has the features that we need and also will allow us to migrate our members and messages for a one-time cost.

On 10/19/2019 8:34 AM, David Hollis david@... [dita-users] wrote:

Hi Kris,

Can you say what the other options are?

David

Thanks, David -- That is one of the options that we are looking into.

On 10/17/2019 2:33 AM, David Hollis david@... [dita-users] wrote:
Hi Kris,

Here's one option for you: Groups.io!

They have a transfer feature: Transfer Your Group To Groups.io

HTH,
David

I'll work with the other group moderators to investigate alternate hosts for the e-mail list.

But we'll also need to figure out:

  1. How to download and archive the messages from Yahoo! Groups
  2. How to make the archives messages available in a useful format

Another volunteers for looking into how best to accomplish these tasks?