What is the purpose of <simpletable>?

Jonathan Hanna

From what I can tell, the only benefit that <simpletable> offers over <table> is...well, its simplicity. Is there any other benefit that I am not seeing?

I know that <simpletable> is used in specializations, such as <properties>. However, if an author is going to create a table from scratch, is there any reason to choose to use <simpletable> over <table>, especially if you have a GUI to help you create the table? While the <table> XML is more complex, I feel that it gives you more flexibility for future modifications.

Thanks,

Jonathan Hanna