Re: indirect linking to DITA elements?

Mica Semrick

Hello,

I believe your second statement, if I'm reading correctly, is correct. The target element for the link must have a unique ID attribute. Many editors can be configured to add a unique ID automatically while authoring.

You should plan your indirect linking strategy and make sure you have a great grasp of which elements you're using, or you'll end up with a mess that will be difficult to unravel.

-m

On October 21, 2016 8:09:35 AM PDT, "Alan Houser arh@... [dita-users]" wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to implement indirect linking to arbitrary DITA elements.
But it appears that DITA keys only support indirect linking to topics.

Within a topic, I can use
to link to an element with ID in the topic bound to
. But if wish to bind to a different topic, either:

- must also exist as an ID in the "new" key binding, or

- I must edit the original topic to insert the "new" target element ID

The former seems unrealistic; the latter negates the benefits of link
indirection.

I've always been a bit baffled by this use case. Am I missing anything?

-Alan