Re: DITA/Word coexistence

Mica Semrick

And by "FIFA" I meant DITA, but I was overruled by my phone, sorry.

-m

On September 12, 2016 4:45:34 PM PDT, "Mica Semrick mica@... [dita-users]" wrote:
Converting over a 3 year period sounds painful.

Dita4publishers provides a word to FIFA transform. It shouldn't be too problematic if your word documents have been authored using styles and are consistent.

I'd advise that you keep your conversion period as short as possible, the long it goes the higher the likelihood of failure.

http://www.dita4publishers.org/

-m

On September 12, 2016 5:18:00 AM PDT, "Allan Jenoff allan.jenoff@... [dita-users]" wrote:

Much of our documentation is currently in Word format. The documents are large and updated and published frequently. We want to convert them all to DITA using oXygen over a 2 to 3 year period. But we have to maintain and publish them during this time. By publish, I am mostly talking about creating PDFs.

The process we are considering is converting sections of books to DITA and maintaining them in oXygen. So we would have some parts of the book updated in oXygen and others updated in the legacy Word file. We would use the oXygen DITA to Word transformation scenario to create a Word file and merge it with the legacy Word file. We could then create a PDF of the entire document.

This is pretty problematic. The conversion isn’t perfect and we would have to adjust styles. But I suspect it would be less work and less error prone than maintaining dual sources.

I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem and has a better solution. Or possibly advice on how to implement this solution in the least painful manner.

I should add that most members of my team have little experience with either oXygen or DITA, so I need a solution that they can implement without adding technical complexity.

Allan Jenoff

Technical Writer

Knowledge Development (NA – Mississauga)

(905) 629-8727 ext. 104797

Join our online community! Start discussions. Ask questions. Receive support.

Collaborate.TrapezeGroup.com